Five and Twenty

The woman smiled, inspecting her appearance in a mirror. She looked good, she was worth showing off and she knew it. She had a proud smirk on her face. Repositioning her mask, belt, and top she shimmied and shook, bouncing in the mirror. She felt great. She could break into plenty of places. This was quite the test, and honestly it was a rather simple one to preform. She glanced at the glittering gem. She loved it, the shine, the shape, the colour was her favourite. She was glad she had taken it. It wasn't bugged, there were no devices to track its location, she had made sure of that. She walked over picking up the ruby in her still gloved hand. She loved the way it sparkled. It was almost as extravagant as she thought herself. She thought it was beautiful, well polished. She turned to take it to the carrying case not far behind her and immediately felt pressure on her throat. She didn't feel the ground beneath her feet. She gripped the jewel in her hands not wanting it to fall.

She stared into the white eyes of the mask in front of her face. Split down the middle with orange and black. She gasped for air,

"you are ... really quiet..."

"this is all your fault," a muffled feminine voice grumbled angrilly.

"didn't your..mother ever... teach you to...knock?"

The woman under the mask gripped her throat tighter.

"Not only did you set me up to fail but you killed her!"

"Not sure... who or... what you're ... talkin' about ... cupcake,"

The woman threw the other across the room. Her curling up to protect the ruby on impact.

"you were there, you gave the plan, you killed the Ringmaster!"

"woah woah," she got into a kneeling position,"are you crying under that mask? Wait plan? Okay okay hold on doll I'm working with ol' Mr. Top hat."

"I doubt it," she walked toward the other.

"seriously cupcake, think about it. I'm nothin' special, honest. I give you the plan and steal the ruby 'kay, that was my end of the deal. I even got ta keep it if I wanted, and see here I am,"

"likely story," she picked the woman up again,"

"he gave me half up front, the ... gem was... the other... bit..." she gasped," I .. dunno who...this 'her' is... but I'm... sorry,"

The masked woman looked into the petrified green stare of the other. Then dropping her to the floor pulled out a gun on her.

"Hey! Hey! You wouldn't!"

The two stayed frozen for a moment staring at each other until the heavily armored woman holstered her weapon and grunted.

"jeepers kiddo, what's your deal?" she rubbed her throat.

"I need to find who killed the Ringmaster, you were the first suspect,"

"why? The guy pays in advance right? Why find his killah?"

"...my sister was caught in the crossfire..."

"oh wow..." she stood, "that's ... that's brutal cupcake. I don't think I could help ya all too much with this. It coulda been anyone per say. But uh... here I um ... got this from a pal," she pulled a card from a bag on a table. "um the number should be on the back. Just, ya know message the guy. He don't really talk much about what he does but you could scare it outa him. Ya did a good job with me heh. Uh that mask... Deathstroke right?"

"...uh... yeah sure lady," she took the card, "thanks for this,"

"hey uh, before ya go... what's the old guy up ta nowadays?"

"not much of anything," she sighs, "he doesn't like people talking about his situation,"

"ooh, now I'm curious,"

"good bye,"

"see ya round ya big softie!" the woman watched the other leave, then put the ruby in the case and smiled. "wonder if i'll see her again, eh probably not,"