27) The Race for Liquid Luck

Ruby and Harry rushed through the dinner isle just as dessert had been brought out. Harry still had remains of blood on his face as he sat down. Ruby hurried and took a seat next to Cho.

"Where have you been?" she asked her.

"Long story. Did you save me any apple cake?" she asked.

"There's plenty," she replied. Ruby took a plate and started scooping some cake onto her plate.

"Great, what did I miss?" she asked.

"The Sorting Hat says we ought to be brave and strong in these trouble times. Easy for it to say, though. It's a hat, isn't it?" one of the boys replied.

"The only danger that silly hat worries about is moths," she said.

"Very best of evening's to you all," Dumbledore's voice bellowed out. All of the students stopped their chattering and turned to him.

"First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn," a stout and pudgy man stood up from the table, and everybody began to clap for him.

"Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape," that wasn't music to Ruby's ears. She was already treading water in her DADA class, with Snape teaching her, she may as well be drowning.

Everybody else seemed to be thinking the same thing, except for the Slytherins. They all clapped happily with their big smiles, all except for Draco. Ruby noticed him sitting next to Blaise Zabini, he looked as though he couldn't give two hoots about who his teachers were. He sat there was a huddled expression, staring off into space.

"As you know, each and every one of you were searched upon your arrival here tonight

"As you know, each and every one of you were searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why," the mood in the room suddenly went rigid as Dumbledore changed the subject.

"Once, there was a young man. Like you, sat in this very hall. Walked this castle's corridors. Slept under it's roof. You see, to all the world, a student like any other. His name: Tom Riddle," that wasn't his name now, not anymore. His new name sent icicles through anybody who even thought of his name.

"Today of course, is known all over the world by another name. Which is why

as I stand, looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact.

Every day, every hour, this very minute, perhaps...dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, that greatest weapon...is you. Just something to think about. Now off to bed," the students were dismissed quickly.

"That was cheerful," Ruby muttered.

-

The next morning, Ruby was rushed into potions as her first class. She felt a little more ease now that Snape wasn't constantly looming around, but she still got an uncomfortable vibe off of Slughorn as well.