Chapter 3

Astrid's POV

In English class, which was the class Mrs. Davis left me in, I was forced to introduce myself in front of the class. Now, I don't have problems speaking in front of a large crowd, but apparently I got scolded for using 'inappropriate language'. What I said was, "Hey, Mt. Werth, I'm Astrid Stewarts and I hope you guys would get to know me real soon," and then ended with a big smile. For the average normal people, that would literally be normal, right?

But according to my English teacher, I was supposed to say, "Hello, students of Mt. Werth. My name is Astrid Stewarts and I come from Lower East High. I hope I can learn something here and be friends with everyone."

Who on earth does that?

So there goes first period, getting scolded by the teacher for a pointless reason.

Nothing happened during second and third period, I just sat at the very back of both classes and tried to keep my head down low. Teachers here do not know how to write the word 'mercy'.

In fourth period, I was so bored I started cutting patterns out of my paper, and ended up getting my scissors confiscated by the teacher. She said sharp objects were not allowed in school compound. I so wanted to state how her mouth is already a sharp object itself. I now could understand why Marissa wrote such horrible things about this school- because they were all true.

Fifth period was interesting. I was assigned a seat beside a guy who looked kind of cute. We didn't talk though, just smiled at each other when I sat down. After fifth period it was lunch which also meant the end of the day. Each class was an hour and a half long which pretty much occupied my time until three thirty. When it was lunch, I didn't know where to sit and I forgot the way to the cafeteria. I tapped on the boy's shoulder just as the bell rang.

"Hey, do you think you could show me where the cafeteria is?" I asked, flipping my hair over my shoulder- it has been bugging me all lesson long but I was afraid I would get scold for some unlogical reason again if I did that. Funny how I wasn't in the mood to be all party-ish today.

"Sure." He said and cleared his throat. I followed behind the boy as he walked through the hallways as if it was written at the back of his palm. He seemed to know this place very well.

"Are you really hungry?" The boy turned around and asked me.

"Huh?" I wasn't paying attention because I was paying attention to his face he had dark brown eyes, the color I wish my eyes were. But no, dad and mom gave me black eyes.

"I said, are you really hungry?"

I shook my head.

"Then come." He gestured to the outside. Turns out we were allowed to be outside of the gloomy building during lunch. The boy led me to the back of the school where there was no one. Roses continued to grow around the tall black gates of the back entrance. The rest was surrounded by brick walls that I could easily flip over but who knows what's on the other side of the wall? The boy, like he's learnt parkour or something, managed to sit on the wall in a blink of an eye. He offered his hand but I shook my head again. Easily without any trouble I jumped up the wall and sat down right beside him. I was bound to be the one to start the conversation but he did instead.

"The name's Xander. Xander Griffin. And in case you're wondering, the other side of this wall has electric fences."

"I'm Astrid Stewarts. And you look great." I blurted without shame and he laughed, running his hands through his hair.

"So what did you do that your parents sent you here?"

I told him about how I messed up and met my third strike.