Chapter 6

Astrid's POV

The next morning when I opened my eyes, Xander was no longer there. I recall him comforting me every time thunder seeped into my ears. It was pounding, like a gong, and Xander's hands magically stopped everything. I changed into a clean tee shirt with the Captain America shield on it and a pair of black jeans. It was Saturday and we were allowed to dress anyway we want on weekends. I was brushing through my hair when there was a soft knock on the door. I said come in but no one entered. Strange. I opened the door, revealing a tray of breakfast at the doorstep. A note was attached to it: Didn't want to disturb you but hey, I got you bacon which is rare. From, X.

The ends of my lips seemed to rise a little, then exposing my teeth. The happiness was hard to keep. I devoured the breakfast in satisfaction. It really was rare to have bacon- the cafeteria only served it once a month. I checked my phone for any messages. None. Veronica and Darwin are now officially in a relationship and I'm pretty happy for them. On Valentine's, Darwin wrote a confession letter to Veronica and told her he liked her and bam! Chemistry happened. We were still contacting last week, but I guess they are busy. It was indeed the busy season of the year, Veronica has tennis competitions and Darwin has musical parties to Deejay for. Yup, my friends are quite outstanding, just like me. Just kidding.

I wandered to Xander's room, only to find the door unlocked, and he wasn't there. I know it's not right to enter somebody's room when they're not there but curiosity just wouldn't let me go. The same warm blue color greeted me as I walked into the lemon scented room. On his usually neat table laid an open book and again, I couldn't fight the urge to read it so I did.

"She was but a shooting star,

The smile she holds so beautiful yet rare.

And if you are to blink by mistake,

You'll see no sign that she has ever been there."

For a moment it was hard for me believe it was Xander Griffin who wrote this. It was beautiful the poem itself, although I didn't know who it was for. Maybe a girl he finds attractive. Maybe he is meeting up with her right now. That explains everything perfectly. I was eager to read more of his work. Without my own control, my hand is already flipping the page.

"I once thought wild was I alone,

But then came she with that wild heart.

Think I now I am surrounded by hope,

I couldn't bare one second for she and I apart."

And I flipped the page again.

"If she were a melody, I am the words.

If she were a diamond, I am the ring.

If she were the heart, I am the beat.

If she were paper, I am the ink.

If she were herself, I thank god I am me."

This guy would totally be the English teacher's pet but Xander hates studying. That applied a thick irony seeing that he has books all on his shelf. I picked up a book burgundy in colour and opened it. It was a false book that has an empty inside where people could store anything. This is absolutely genius. I would have to ask Xander for one.

Speaking of who, entered the room.

"Hey Xander, this is totes cool. Can I have one?" I asked waving the book in my hand. He wouldn't be mad at me anyways, this guy right here is way too cool to be mad. Kind of like me, but I did kinda maybe sorta got mad at my parents for sending me here.

"I would but remember how I said pack light? I'll make you one when we get out of here. Those are totally made from old textbooks. Anyways, let's get started with the plan." Xander explained how he took the blueprint back to his room after I fell asleep- with mascara on my eyes. I utterly went through a lot of trouble removing dried mascara this morning. A girl's gotta look nice no matter rainy day or sunny day. It's a girl's thing!