Chapter 21

Astrid's POV

Imagine sitting at a table with a whole feast laid out in front of your hungry soul. Just as you were about to take some of the food, the plate it immediately snatched from you and when returned, it's empty. I'm not trying to be Cinderella or anything, but seriously, this was what happened at dinner. Aunt Hilda was stuffing calories down her throat while shoving some to Uncle Andrew and Caleb. Of course she gave some to my parents, but none to me. So, I sat there awkwardly eating whatever's on my plate which is nothing. This is why I hate Aunt Hilda. Right now, I'm wishing to be Harry Potter so that I can make my aunt inflate like a balloon and send her away. I'll just order a pizza later if I'm hungry.

Caleb seemed to notice how I had nothing much on my plate and gave me some of his food which I reluctantly pushed aside, refusing to accept anything from the jerk. That's right, I said it, go on and sue me. When everyone was almost done, I stood up, silently declaring that I was going to be in my room. I thought no one would notice me, but apparently, Uncle Andrew did. He's not much of a jerk like his son, but he's half of it. It's only logic that that was how Caleb got his genes from.

"Sit down, Astrid, talk with the family." He said in a fake accent. I stood right behind my chair, hesitant if I should obey as told, but Caleb grasped my hand and forced me back into my place.

"Sit down." He put his hand on my knee under the table where no one could see it.

I glared into his eyes, "Keep doing that if you want to lose that hand." I whispered.

Immediately, he retreated his hand to himself and I slumped down in my chair, begging for this moment to be over. I watched as Uncle Andrew, Aunt Hilda and mom and dad chatted away about life and everything else it comes with. Caleb sat in silence next to me, tapping his fingers on the table every now and then. I had the urge to ask him how long his family was going to be here, but didn't. I refuse to talk with anyone like him. Even Veronica who falls easily for good looking people, didn't want to befriend him when she first met him years ago.

After what seemed like a millennium, Aunt Hilda told everyone to go back to their room just because she was tired. She isn't even the queen of this house, my mom is. I don't understand how adults can tolerate each other like this, it's just insane. When the long night was finally over, I went up to my room only to see my phone buzzing. I picked it up, already knowing who it is.

"You cannot believe how dreadful my life is right now!" I complained into the phone, not giving a care if Texas hears me.

"Aunt Hilda over again?" She's one smart girl.

"Yes, Veronica, and my life is crumbling because of that arrogant son of hers."

"Well, I can't stay for long because it's past my curfew and my mom thinks I'm sleeping. I only called to check on you because you didn't reply my message. I think my mom is coming. Gotta go! I'll text you tomorrow!" She said before hanging up. I chuckle for a little and fell asleep almost instantly due to the tiredness accumulated inside of me. At least tonight it didn't take three hours, five hundred positions, fifty texts and an hour on the internet.

***

Have you ever had that feeling when you wake up that today is going to be the best day ever? So it happened today.

I changed into a t-shirt with a varsity jacket my dad got for me, used the curling iron to fix my hair into a bunch of curls before finishing up my makeup. Today is one of the day I refer as "Fleek Day", which means that my outfit and makeup are on fleek and everything is going well. Every single time when I'm satisfied with my own look, my instincts tell me today's going to be out of this world.