Chapter 16

Xander's POV

"Is he going to be okay?" Astrid.

"He will be. We should just go back, it's getting late." Cameron.

"But you heard what the doctors said, Xander-"

"Xander will be fine, and you're not in any better shape than he is. Let's go home and get you cleaned up from this bruises and blood, then we'll come back if you want to."

"Okay."

"You're a mess."

Then the voices faded away.

I didn't open my eyes. I was afraid that when I open them, the only thing I'll see is Astrid walking away from me and I can do nothing about it.

My eyes remained shut as I tried to figure out where I am and what happened. I couldn't remember a single thing whilst my head was aching like the monster inside was throwing a mega tantrum. I winced in pain and jerked.

I opened my eyes when I heard a nurse coming in with a trolley and calling my name.

"How are you feeling, Xander?" She asked, holding up the chart at the end of my bed. It took me a moment to realize I was in the hospital.

"I'm fine, but my head hurts," I answered truthfully.

"Okay. Do you want anything to eat?"

"That would be great. I'm starving." Then the nurse nodded and left me alone. Soon enough she returned with a tray of food, mostly bread and fruits. At least hospital food tastes better than airline meals.

"What happened to me?" I dug into the food hastily and asked the nurse as she was about to leave the room again.

She gave an awkward smile and replied, "Oh, nothing much. Just rest and you'll be back in shape before you even know it. I'll come after a few hours to give you your medication. In the meantime, you could rest or watch some TV." She pointed the remote on the desk next to me and left.

Silence quickly poured in the room as I devoured like a wolf. When I was done, I turned on the TV to find the news was on.

"Now, for the news of today, an unlicensed taxi driver was found in a warehouse near Queen's street, along with a boy who appears to be unconscious when the police arrived. The boy is now sent to the hospital and reported to be safe, and the taxi driver, however, is addressed criminal for abuse and drunk driving. After a few backtrack, the criminal is also found guilty of murder and abuse in his previous family. It's decided best that he is to be imprisoned for who knows how long. Next up, billionaire's gamer son sprains his thumb at the Video Game Championship Finals..."

I sighed and turned off the TV. Great, now I'm on the news. At least he is being imprisoned right now. Best if it's for life. I hate everything he said. If he hated my mom and us so much, why not just divorce her? Did he had to reach that level to kill her? Gambling was his fault, not anyone else's. At least mom doesn't get to see him anymore.

I fought back my tears at the thought of mom. I missed her. I tried to sleep but I couldn't. The image of her keeps popping up in my mind. She'd always sing me to sleep, and it works like a charm. Sometimes, I would fight the urge to sleep just so that I could listen to her voice for a longer time. I smiled at the memories.

Hours passed with me tossing and turning and the nurse who came in earlier came back with some pills and a glass of water.

"Take these." I took the pills one by one, swallowing the bitter taste down my throat. When I reached the last one which looked rather big, I asked the nurse what it was.