Chapter 44:

Killian POV:

That Saturday I took Henry to race go karts. Emma was still recovering, and some days were worse than others. Afterward, we were eating lunch at the park when I blurted it out.

"Henry, I realize I've never really asked you. What do you think of your mother and I?"

"You mean, you and her together?" He asked me.

"Aye." I nodded.

"I think it's great. She's really happy, you both are." He grinned.

I beamed in return. For a kid his age, he was so smart.

"So what do you think about me?" I ventured on.

"Are you going to ask my mom to marry you or something?" He eyed me knowingly.

I stuttered for a second, then regained my composure. That question certainly caught me off guard.

"I, uh, I haven't thought about that just yet." I scratched behind my ear.

"Then why are you asking me all this?" He inquired.

"I guess I just wanted to make sure you were happy with me and your mom together."

"I don't know why you don't just ask her. You've been together for a long time, it makes sense."

"How so?"

"I may be a kid, but I'm not stupid."

"Never meant to give you that impression." I held my hands up.

"I know." He smiled. "But my mom is definitely happy with you. I like you."

"You're wiser than I thought. Henry, you're going to get very far in life." I smiled and ruffled his hair.

Right after that we met Robin and Regina so the boys could play in the playground together. Once Henry was out of ear shot, I confided in them.

"I want to ask Emma to marry me." I said, getting straight to the point.

Regina looked taken aback.

"What? You two have been telling me to do it all along!"

"It's just, I didn't think you would get up the nerve so soon." She said.

"I think it's brilliant." Robin said approvingly. "Have you asked Henry? It's only fair to ask him if he's okay with it."

"He and I just had a little chat. I didn't tell him I would propose, but he did give me his explicit permission. He was doing what the two of you have been."

"Then you're in the clear. When do you want to do it?" Regina asked me.

"As soon as I can, before I lose my bloody nerve." I said, cringing.

"And before she finds out. Henry might clue her in." She pointed out.

"Aye. The trouble is getting a ring."

"Knowing Emma, she's not up for anything showy. She's a simple girl. So keep the ring simple, but put some thought into it." Regina said.

"I agree. I'd love nothing more than to find the most ostentatious one possible, but I know that she'll love something small but meaningful." I thought for a second and grit my teeth. "Will you help me?"

"Pardon?" Regina replied.

"Help me pick it out. You've known Emma longer, you're a woman, and I want to get it right."

Regina grinned cheekily. "Yes, I'll help you. But we'll have to find a way to do it without Emma finding out."

"Tell her you're going out with David and I, then meet up." Robin suggested.