Chapter 38:

Emma POV:

As soon as we got home, I set to work. Killian sat next to me, doing everything he could to be supportive. I started with that damn car. An Amber alert had already gone out, telling anyone with a smart phone what the both of them looked like and that they were in an old Cadillac.

Eventually, I found the license plate number and year model. I texted that to the officer. He knew what job I had now, and what I had before. I'm sure he was aware that I wouldn't just sit at home and twiddle my thumbs until they found Henry.

From there, I did more digging on Gold himself. I found previous addresses, property he owned, and some assault arrest records between him and customers. Apparently, there had been disagreements on collateral and money. That didn't make me feel better. Throughout all of this, I texted the officer what I found. He said they would start looking right away. That wasn't good enough for me. I printed everything out.

"Let's go." I said to Killian.

"Love?" He replied, confused.

"We're going to search these places one by one." I said, holding up the paper with the list of property Gold owned.

"Emma," he gripped my hand, "let the police handle this, please."

"I am, I'm just helping them. You can stay or come with me, but you're not going to stop me." I warned him.

He sighed and dropped his head. "Who am I to argue with a distraught mother. But when I say run, you run. I got your back, love."

I smiled and we left. The first address was right here in town. I figured he wouldn't stick around, but then maybe he would just to throw off the police.

It was an empty shop, waiting for a business owner to rent it. I picked the lock and made my way in. I aimed my gun around every corner and searched every room I came across. I even checked the floor and walls for any hidden entrances. When we found nothing, we moved along to the next place.

We ended up driving all over the state, checking just over a dozen pieces of property all within a few hours of our home. Finally, on the fourteenth place, an old office building, we found a sign. They weren't here, but they had been before. He must have seen the Amber Alert and known he was found out, then took Henry and left.

We entered a room on the third floor, there was an old sofa and a kitchen off to the side. Perfect for hiding out. The light had been left on in the kitchen and there was a recently opened package of microwaveable soup laying on the counter. He knew someone would be here fast.

"They were here." I told Killian. I didn't dare get too excited, Gold could be well on his way to being out of the country by now.

I started looking for any sign that might tell me where they went, Killian helped me by searching the kitchen. I was digging my hands around the couch when I found what felt like a piece of paper. I pulled it out and unfolded it.

"Have you got something?" Killian asked, looking over my shoulder.

Game of Thorns.

That's what it read. It sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place my finger on it. Then I gasped, because realization hit me.

"Killian!" I zipped around. "Gold loaned a man named French some money, and as collateral has the title to a delivery truck. He was arrested before for assaulting French. They must either be at the shop or they have the truck."

I pulled out my phone and dialed the officer that was working with us.

"Miss Swan? It's very late." He said in a groggy voice.

"I don't care. Write this down." I gave him a minute to get a pen and paper and tell me to speak. "Game of Thorns. It's a flower company. A man named Maurice French owns it, Gold loaned him money and took the title to his delivery truck as collateral. I'm at an office building that Gold owns and I found a note in my son's handwriting that says Game of Thorns."

"What are you doing there? Wait for the police to search all the property!" The officer demanded.

"Obviously I got here first. I've been tracking down people for years, I'm not just going to wait, I'm going to help."

"Miss Swan-"

"Am I impeding you in any way? Obstructing any justice?"

"No, but-"

"No, I'm helping. Take that information and go with it."

And with that I hung up.

"Back to town, we need to see Mr. French." I marched out. I didn't care what time it was or how exhausted I might be, adrenaline was fueling me.

Back in town, I found the shop. There was an apartment above it, much like Gold's shop. I went around the back and found a staircase that led up to the front door and knocked.

A very tired and cranky looking man answered.

"What is it?" He demanded of me.

"Where is your van? Gold has it as collateral and I think he took my son in it." I got straight to the point.

"He came by here to repossess it a couple of hours ago. The payment was due yesterday and I forgot, he's not very forgiving." He grumbled. "I didn't see a kid with him."

"What's the license plate on it?"

"2HY I65." He said. He clearly wanted us off his porch.

"Thank you." I nodded and left. I called the officer again and told him the plate number and that Gold had the van. That was when Killian's phone rang.

"Milah?" He answered. "What?! Okay, we'll be right there."

"What was that?" I asked.

"Gold was stupid enough to leave that car at her house. Maybe he's in a panic, or maybe he thought he could trust her. But it's there. She said he sent someone who works for him to drop it off, so she has no idea where he and Henry went." Killian explained.

"He left it there to try to throw the police off. He doesn't know Henry left me that note." I said.

"Wait! Ma'am?" I heard a voice yell from above. It was Mr. French.

"I think I know where your son is. My daughter, she worked for Gold. They had an on and off relationship, she said he just drove in with the van. She called to ask why he had it and if I was okay." He said breathlessly.

"He's there? Where does she live?" I could have screamed, but I kept calm.

He gave me the address and I immediately put it into my GPS.

"Tell her to keep him there, thank you so much." And with that I ran to my car, pulling Killian with me.