Chapter 36

Barbara's POINT OF VIEW

‘Barbara, barbara’ I heard as someone began to shake and nudge my shoulder slightly, I groaned and rolled over but then I was suddenly exposed to the bare air against my legs as whoever was trying to wake me up pulled the covers off my body, my eyes shot open as I sat up ‘err Josh what do you want?!’ I groaned as I laid back down ‘you need to take me to school, I’m late already’ he said shrugging his shoulders and walking out… fuck mum is going to kill me when she finds out I was late taking Josh to school, I climbed out of bed and quickly threw on: 

I ran down stairs grabbing my phone and keys and running out of the house with Josh following me quickly ‘you should have woken me up earlier’ I scowled him ‘I tried!’ he said ‘not hard enough’ I muttered under my breathe.

‘How is school?’ I asked as I started the car and began to drive away ‘alright I guess’ he said shrugging ‘what do you mean, you guess?’ I asked ‘like I’m failing basically every class’ he said turning on the radio trying to end the conversation so I quickly turned the radio off and faced him as I stopped at a red light he looked at the window ‘have you told mum this?’ I asked him he shook his head ‘like she’d care’ he mumbled ‘what do you mean?! Of course she would!’ I exclaimed ‘no all she cares about it you she thinks I’m passing all my classes when I’m not’ he said I’m shocked does he actually think’s that mum only cares about me because that isn’t true ‘Josh you know that isn’t true you know she loves you’ I told him ‘I’m not saying she doesn’t love me it’s just she prefers you, like I don’t play football anymore because she doesn’t have time to take me’ he told me ‘that’s not fair! I’ll sort it out. I’ll take you to football’ I told him as we pulled up to his school ‘don’t worry about it’ he said jumping out ‘I will! And just blame me for being late’ I said as he shut the door he just nodded in reply before sighing heavily once more and turning his back on me once more and walking into the school gates.

Does he really feel that way? Does mum really treat him like that? I’m finding everything a little hard to believe and deal with. Have I been spending so much time and been so involved with Justin that I haven’t seen this change in Josh, that I haven’t been there for him, he didn’t seem like he wanted to talk to me in the car, we used to be so close, we used to tell each other everything without hesitation… but now he didn’t want to tell me. And for some reason I can’t help but blame myself for this, for spending so much time with Justin that I haven’t seen Josh, have I really been neglecting my little brother? I feel awful, how could I do this? I need to go and talk to my mum.

As I drove away I pulled out my phone, called my mum and put it on loudspeaker ‘hey mum’ I said into the phone ‘morning sweetie, just woken up?’ she asked happily ‘nope I just took Josh to school’ I told her ‘oh yeah, so what’s up?’ she asked ‘are you busy? I really need to talk to you’ I said as I sighed ‘right now I am busy but give me a few hours when I’m on lunch and we can have a chat’ she said ‘okay, text me when and where’ I said ‘will do, bye sweetie’ she said ‘bye mum’ I don’t know what I am going to tell her, but I need to.