Chapter 23

-Kara's POV- (omg so many now...)
I wasn't sure how he'd do with the anesthesia, but his body seemed to handle it well. I didn't know much about creepers, so I worked as quick as I could, like he was a hedgehog. Hedgehogs stress quickly, and don't handle anesthesia well, so can only be under for a few minutes. That's how I worked.

As soon as he was down, I teased the metal arrow from his leg without hurting him. The end where the tip should be was gone, and the end was clean-cut. Mitch came in and told me Jade had bitten it off.

I worked as quick as possible, and I had to make sure no internal injuries were present. But while doing so, Preston tensed, and even in his unconscious state, began to stress out. I cursed- surprising Mitch and Kenny- and grabbed my stress kit.

+Helpful tip: Creepers don't take anesthesia well and stress out like the common hedgehog. Maximum time for being under is less than 10 minutes+

I took the mask off Preston, and he came around slowly but surely. But when he woke up completely, I made sure to numb his leg, have him look away, and focus on Kenny and Mitch, so I could finish and sew the gouges in his leg.

It had done enough damage that he'd limp for a while, but not enough to wreck the leg. If it had, he'd be dead because he'd be two-legged. He was already at a severe disadvantage with three legs. Two would be murderous.

When Preston and the baccas left, Mitch stayed. He seemed reluctant to leave Kenny. But when Kenny went to bed, Mitch stayed up.

"Kara, I can help you research creepers if you'd like. It's a little hard, but it's doable."

"Thank you, Mitch, but you should get some rest."

"I'm not tired. I'm used to sleeping in the morning, Jerome and all, so I can go for a few hours."

He booted up the computer, and I pulled out a pen and paper. I also started up the printer. For hours, Mitch and I did the most research we could, and found out that lava creepers in specific were an endangered- if not extinct- species.

To my knowledge of Preston, they aren't extinct, but probably so rare and so few left that they're too spread out to find each other. To continue the species, then there had to be more than just Preston somewhere.

The King- Robert- had no idea of how the local hunters were affecting the Wilds. Mitch told me he'd recently seen a direwolf in the woods. Now, direwolves were thought to be extinct hundreds of years ago, and yet, Mitch could correctly identify a direwolf- Canus dirus- in binomial nomenclature.

(Latin Naming system I learned about in Biology... I'm in 9th grade)

It was correctly identified and it looked no different than the pictures in museums. The computer generated images were correct, when the museums only had skeletons.

I continued my creeper research while Mitch turned to direwolves to figure out why they were thought to be extinct.

The night we successful, to be honest...

~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~
-A/N-
Eeeeeyyyyyy. I really like direwolves, so I had to include them. No, not the ones from games and stuff, the actual legit creature that went extinct hundreds of years ago. From what I've heard and researched myself, they couldn't find any substantial food when the mammoths disappeared, so they died off... ;A;

Hope you guys enjoyed! Love you guys!
                     ~Percabeth1Jackson