Chapter 20

Mitch continued to yell at the men, but they simply ignored him outright. Jerome ended up hopelessly tangled in netting, growling and upset. His sister was tied down, her legs tied together, restricting her entirely. She looked so ashamed of herself, she refused to look at me or Mitch.

Jerome kept up a fight, while Jade gave up. Jade clearly felt that she had gotten her brother trapped, and was embarrassed.

"I am sorry, brother." She muttered.

"You are forgiven, Jade."

He went behind a wall of men as they forced him to walk, and I could see the limp of his walk with his single good leg. His back left leg was bent quite oddly, and I feared it was broken. His back right leg was twisted, but definitely not broken. His front right shoulder was sticky with blood from the arrow wound.

Jerome barely managed to propel his body in the direction he was forced to move. He was clearly in thorough pain, but walked anyway. Jerome was led away into a large stone building down the road, and disappeared from sight. Jade followed suit when they took the rope off her legs.

Mitch slumped onto the asphalt, stunned that they had ignored him, and cried. I tried my best to comfort him, but ultimately failed. If I did anything, it was make him uncomfortable. So instead I ran to Kara, who stood on her porch, surprised to see me. Kenneth jumped the porch fence, hit the asphalt hard, and took off.

He collapsed on his brother, and hugged him while he cried. Kara scooped me off the asphalt, and carried me back to Mitch. My body temperature rose automatically in the brisk spring air, and Kara yelped and dropped me in surprise. I landed, all feet down, and sat there.

Kara knelt down, and tried her best to calm Mitch down. He eventually stopped crying, but still looked angry and very upset. Instead of watching it happen, he stood up, very angry, and ran to the building he had seen Jerome go into. I followed closely on his heels.

Inside, it was a red room. There was blood everywhere, and I nearly lost my breakfast. Mitch looked calm and collected, eyes blazing with rage. He walked in, and after receiving a sad glare from me, I relented and followed.

I could hear Jerome growling, and Jade was crying. Unlike before, Jerome had a deeper growl, and it was more menacing.

A voice rang out, "TIE HIM DOWN! We don't want him escaping! And would someone PLEASE chain her again?!"

I poked my head out from the cover I was behind, and watched as several men managed to tie Jerome down to a large wooden table, and Jade was chained to a wall by her neck and muzzle.

I scampered under the table Jerome was on unnoticed, and my body heat melted all the chains at once like they were butter. Jerome sprung free. He snapped down on a man, making a deep wound on his shoulder. The men panicked and struggled to take him down again.

Jerome destroyed the chain around the muzzle and neck of his sister, and they raced past me and out the door, Jerome barely managing. I ran to Mitch, who lifted me up and bolted.