Chapter 27

(Italics- Kara, Bold/Italics- anonymous for now)

"We can't leave him with baccas, he'll die."

"If we don't, he'll die. He needs a figure to look up to. And it has to be one from the Wilds."

"Sir, baccas eat meat. He specifically notified me that he has a meat allergy. He'll die faster with the bacs."

"If he needs help, he will come to me. He knows how powerful sorcerers are. I can tell."

"Fine. I'll go tell the alpha."

"Not the alpha. The one taking care of him."

"I know. The alpha. Actually, both the alpha and omega."

"What?"

"The alpha and omega are caring for him. So is Mitchell, the alpha's... Mate? I think? Friend? I'm not sure."

"Then this is one lucky creeper. Go now, my child. I'll take him inside to rest."

"Yes sir."

"How many times do I have to tell you? Call me Seto."

"Sorry. Yes, Seto. I'll return in a bit."

~~+~~+~~+~~+~~

I took him inside, and noticed he'd continued to melt, being comfortable enough to become amorphous. I laid him down on a blanket I threw in the corner, and pulled up the edges to make a bowl so he didn't melt on the floor. He slowly became definite once again, shaped to a small creeper once more.

Preston yawned but stayed asleep. Kara hopped in, and dove for the bowl of carrots I had set out for her. She and I say in a separate room so Preston could sleep in peace.

"Barely a year and a half old... tsk tsk... He's so young and already orphaned."

"His mother was shot by the sole archer in the city. That archer is also how his leg was injured."

"I will make him regret the day he orphaned Preston. Watch him while he sleeps. Make sure nothing happens to him."

"Wait where are you going?"

"To meet that archer."

~~+~~+~~+~~

Tense. Wound up. Busy. That's the description I have of the city. Off hand I found Kara's easily. But I caught sight of the archer not long after. He made his message plain and simple- I can shoot and kill anything.

It made me angry, and brought attention to myself.

"Hey!"

Silence reigned and they all looked at me.

"Who are you?" A swordsman asked.

"Why would you like to know? Does it matter?"

"Yes it matters. You interrupted our conversation."

"Fine. I am Seto."

"What do you want?" The archer asked.

I grit my teeth.

"Archer, step forward please."

He did so.

"You have caused death and pain to a family- a pair of lave creepers to be exact- and it does not make me happy to learn it all ties back to you."

"Yeah, so what?"

"So what? You've destroyed a family, and you don't care? What kind of soulless creature are you? You certainly aren't human."

"No I'm 100 percent human. I was just doing my job."

"And that is?"

"Shoot what I'm told to shoot."

"But you weren't told to shoot the younger creeper. You chose to shoot him. And that, you will regret."

"How? It's not like you can kill me. I'll shoot your ass."

"Oh, that's not possible. Try all you like. You'll never touch me, much less shoot me," I said with a painfully patient smile, "But by all means, try your best!"