Chapter 37

-Preston's POV-

"Preston you want something to eat?"

"I am fine. I have a potash here."

"A what?"

"A potash. A chalk apple."

"Why are you eating chalk apples? I heard they were disgusting."

"They are actually quite good. It requires a certain organ to eat them and not get sick."

"Why?" Lachlan had a look of pure disgust on his face.

"Because I like them. Why do you eat meat?"

"Because it's amazing."

"Well, guess what? I refuse to have meat."

"What?" Disbelief. "Why?!"

"I will die if I eat it. I am severely allergic to any and all meat."

"Oh, that sucks then..."

"Well, not really. I do quite enjoy fruit."

"Okay..."

"Now. Have have the two of you been?"

"Awesome. Now that I finally managed to adapt to this lifestyle, it's so easy. And Lachlan (that moment when you type too fast and it autocorrects to zilch lab... All the facepalms) is the one person I talk to before, during, and after worktime. But coordinating worktime with break time is tough sometimes."

"I also notice that Lachlan, you have adapted to contractions. Very good."

"Yeah. It took a few more months than expected, but I got it."

"Take a walk?"

"Sure!"

We headed out after Vikk let the guards and such know where we were going.

We rounded the gates and walked down the hill. Once we were positively out of sight, Vikk dropped his posture a bit, and pulled his circlet off, letting it hang on his arm. A charm hung off the side- the signature Vikk often used- a gold star. He sighed and messed his hair up.

"It's so annoying being in there. I'll constantly have higher-ups yelling, 'Stand straight!', and 'Don't touch your hair!', and 'Look professional!'. It gets to be too much."

"He does get it a lot. But Vikk, haven't you noticed? I get it more than you do."

I laughed. "That must suck. And why would you get it more than the King?"

"Because I'm considered a citizen. And in the presence of the King?" I heard some sarcasm slip on his voice, "They go bonkers! 'Look nice!', 'Stand straighter!', 'Fix the wrinkles in your clothing!', 'Keep your elbows off the table!', 'Walk prouder!'. It's crazy."

"I understand the citizen part, but why so strict? Let up a little."

"They just get worse and worse as I get older."

"I noticed they never did that with the Flower King..."

"Wait. You know him?" Vikk looked confused.

"Yes I do. His castle is a mere 3 miles from my old cove."

"I noticed the signatures changed a few years ago, but was so tired I didn't ask questions. What happened?"

"Well... Long story short, I got in trouble, got punished by the King to stay in the castle walls for a week, King stabbed me, committed suicide hours later, Prince became King next day."

"Woah woah woah. The King stabbed you?! Where? Why?"

"I do not know. He stabbed me directly in the stomach, almost mindlessly."

"Where even is your stomach? How'd he know where to stab?"

"The Flower castle has a magic barrier that makes any fantasy creature take the form of a human. So it was not hard. And number two, my stomach is unreachable to danger due to evolution. So it does not matter."

"Oh. Ummm... Okay."