Chapter 57

-Rob's POV-
My trick to make him collapse wasn't supposed to work that way. It was simply to make him fall back to the couch. But it worked differently, and I had to improvise.

I think my blush gave it away.

Kenny was ripping through his presents like a mad cow, screaming and getting even more excited with every one he opened.

Mitch was handing him the presents while Kara collected the trash and wrapping paper. Preston acted like he was glued to my side because of the crowd of younger boys.

Kenny was super excited to see the one I'd out in front of him, since he knew Mitch was friends with me. And he knew who I was, but that's not why he was excited.

He opened it, and nearly screamed. I saw him try to choke down the sound, and instead made an inhuman squealing sound.

Mitch looked bewildered by the sound, not expecting it and not able to see what he held.

Mitch looked at me and mouthed, 'What is it?'

'Sword'

His eyes widened. 'Nooooooo!' He whined silently, staring at the ceiling.

Kara could see it and didn't look too happy. She was tapping her foot.

I laughed to myself while the other boys were trying to see what it was. One saw, and stepped back.

"What is it?"

"Yeah Jeremy, what is it?"

"Jer, tell us! We can't see!"

Kenny stopped screaming internally, stood up, and pulled the blade from its sheath.

The iron blade pulled a strike in the sheath, but that was meant to happen. The other boys backed up a fair amount when Kenny held the sword out.

"Woah dude."

"Who got you that?"

"Wasn't me! But I wish it was!"

"Kara?"

"No!"

"Mitch?"

"Nope."

"I got it for him."

They all turned.

"Who are you?"

"Dude shut up that's the King."

"Ignore the crown. I hate being referred to as the King. Just call me Rob."

"Wow. Where'd you get the sword?"

"Armory at home. Thought it'd be useful to have a hunting weapon."

"But why a sword?"

"Mitch's got a bow. If Mitch incapacitated an animal, he can use less arrows and give Kenny a kill if he wants it. Ammunition efficiency."

"Cool. I want one."

"Sorry. Can't have one from me. Kenny's a special case."

"How?"

"I've known him for years. Mitch lived with me for god sakes."

One kid raised his hand and looked at Kenny.

"How do you know him?"

Kenny seemed seriously surprised by the question.

"I-I don't remember how. Mitch met him or somethin' and Mitch introduced me to him. I think?"

"Pretty sure."

Parents started coming for their kids, and Kenny ran outside to study his new sword.

"Robert."

I cringed. Full first name meant trouble.

"Yes Kara?"

"Why a sword?"

"Defense, hunting if he gets into it like Mitch, it saves Mitch arrows, and what kid doesn't want a sword?"

She sighed.

"I'll try to keep him from cutting himself with it."

"That would be smart seeing as he's playing with it."

She looked over her shoulder to Kenny, who was waving the sword at his friends, then back at me.

She looked me in the eye and whispered, "what's going on between you and Preston?"

My senses went on high alert. Was something going on? What's going on? What? Did Preston tell her something I didn't know? Or is she guessing?

"You don't have to tell me, I'm just curious. You both have been acting differently now that he's here."

The alarm died. She was just curious about our behaviour.

Thank god.