Chapter 38

-Lachlan's POV-

It seems like Preston has not changed at all. He is still small, a little shy, a little outgoing, very drawn to conversation, and observational.

He noticed I had adapted to contractions, but that is only in group conversation. Vikk is still working with me for writing and one-on-one conversation. But honestly, I do not like contractions. They are misleading in some cases.

With how observational Preston naturally is, I was surprised that not once did he acknowledge my recognizable behavior. I am still the same. A quiet, semi-ignored, shy kid. His actions suggested that he had completely brushed it aside.

Vikk was fully engaged in conversation, while I walked next to him, content to stay quiet. Preston honestly looked uncomfortable speaking so much. He and I acted so similarly, it was scary.

While in the midst of a sentence to Vikk, Preston locked eyes with me. His expression screamed, 'HELP', but I had not a clue what to do. I dipped back out of the peripheral of Vikk to shrug to Preston.

I was amazed to see Preston actively uphold verbal conversation with Vikk, as well as body language conversation with me. Without losing contact with either. (#multitaskinggoals)

"Vikk, I think we should be heading back. It's starting to get dark."

"Ugh. Fine. C'mon guys."

"We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of SLEEP."

"Yup. And guess what's tomorrow, Lachlan?" I could hear thick sarcasm...

So I returned the favor. "What?" Exaggerated to the maximum.

"Family gathering! I'm gonna go home and die inside now..."

"Noooooooooooo. I hate your family. This isn't fair! Why do they do that every month?!"

"I guess it's because they hate us. Preston, I really need to get home. I need all the sleep I can get before my family gets here."

"Well, do not die. I will be very upset if you were to die. Survive and reign longer. Long live the King, I guess...?"

"Sure. I guess that works. Night, LP."

"How about this. I come back tomorrow so you two do not die of boredom with your family?"

"Yes please! Oh my god, yes please."

"Alright. That is settled then. Roughly what time should I come back?"

"I'll come get you, Preston. Time is hard in the Nether." I chipped in.

"Alright then. See you tomorrow."

We had reached home, so Preston just dipped back into the portal and disappeared.

Vikk turned to me, halfway up the staircase.

"You did better with the contractions."

"Thank you. But you know I still hate them."

"Yeah I know. But you need them in public so that you don't look like an idiot."

"Why would I look like an idiot? It is just a more efficient way of speaking."

"But no one speaks like that anymore. Pretty much no one cares enough to speak old fashioned, aka why people created contractions."

He kept climbing to the third floor.

"Vikk?"

"Yeah?"

"How shall we explain the presence of Preston to your family tomorrow?"

"Oh shiitake mushrooms." He cursed.