Chapter 39

-Vikk's POV-

My aunt Eliza and cousin David showed up early. And when I say early, I mean, EARLY. They were in the castle a mere 3 hours after Lachlan and I had gone to bed. So they technically stayed overnight. Which was annoying to learn the next morning.

A maid woke me up around 8 am, and told me she had set out my uniform. I thanked her and she left. I was half asleep, but did as usual when my family came.

I showered, brushed my wet mop of hair, got dressed, laid back down for a few minutes. I was tired still, but I forced myself awake. Lachlan- who was still asleep- plummeted off his side of the bed, and I heard a shrill shriek seconds before I heard the thump of his body hitting the carpet.

His blonde hair popped up, and his 3/4 asleep body followed. He curled back up into bed. But this time, I shoved him off the bed.

"Hey!" I heard him groan from the floor, "Why did you do that?"

"You gotta get up. Get ready. C'mon, Lachy. Up!"

"Eeeeehhhhhhhhhh... Fine." He grumbled.

15 minutes later, Lachlan reappeared from the bathroom in full uniform, and more awake than me. Even though he face planted back into bed.

Uniform sounds bad, but it's comfortable actually. It's almost a military outfit, but with softer and more comfortable fabric unread of the stifling wool or sticky polyester. And of course, *cue sarcasm* don't forget the main part.

The lovely circlet of doom.

I always hated the thing. It's a 3 lb metal ring sitting on my head all day. A rounded, constantly heated ring making it unbearably hard to go about my day without it hurting. I'm not allowed to take it off or else the higher ups would scream and lose their minds.

Besides the circlet of doom and obvious biological differences, Lachlan and I looked exactly alike. Same exact uniform, same form, standing straight. It was disgusting. We looked like royalty. Oh shite. That's right. I am. So I have to suffer with a circlet of doom every waking moment. Lachlan's lucky in that respect.

"Lachlan, we gotta head down now. Cmon, dood. Up!"

He groaned. "Five more minutes?"

"You wish." I giggled.

He rubbed his eyes and sat up. "I hate your family too much. Can I go to bed now?"

"Nope. At least we have Preston today."

"And again. How on the green earth of gods are you going to explain his presence?"

"Shiitake mushrooms!!! I forgot explaining... Gosh darn it."

He laughed at my misery. I glared at him.

"If you think I'm gonna explain it, you're wrong. So help me god, you're going to work on your social skills."

His laughter cut off. He looked at me, slightly concerned and clearly a little upset.

"Vikk, it is not that simple. It is not even social skills if you just talk. Social skills include touch. No thank you. You know how much I hate these people. You are NOT forcing me to do this or I will lock myself in this room."

"Fine. But you're helping me at least explain Preston."

"Ugh. Okay."