Chapter 11

Annie's POV:

Why did I take English Literature for A levels again? I've been sat in this classroom for almost an hour now and all I've done is paint my nails. And I still have another 30 minutes to go. Sighing, I turned the page to read the poem 'Ariel' by Sylvia Plath who we were studying for our coursework. Her poetry was so dark and depressing, yet I couldn't help but relate to her. I knew how horrible and consuming depression is, hell, I'm still depressed! You've just got to keep hoping that it'll get better because if you lose hope, you have nothing left. It also helps if you have a good group of friends around you to support you, but I have zero friends. It's only me and my mum and she has issues of her own to deal with.

 "Annie, what are your feelings about this poem?" My teacher called me out, leaving me feeling exposed and like a giant spotlight was trained on me. I shifted nervously in my seat and quickly scanned the poem.

  "Um, it's about a horse?" I had no clue, I'm unbelievably shit at poetry.

  "No shit!"

  "Loser."

  These were the comments that flew around the room at my response. I pulled down the sleeves of my ATL hoodie and looked down at my desk, trying to fade away into the woodwork. It didn't work though, it never does.

  I was just about to whip around and face my enemies head on when I heard it. An ice-cold laugh filled the room, induced by a horrible comment about me. I could recognize that laugh anywhere. I slowly turned in my seat to see my ex-bestfriend Isabel cackling her head off. Several thoughts filled my head.

  Betrayal.

  Hurt.

  Anger.

  Sadness.

  BITCH.

  "Isabel, is there something you want to say to me?" The words escaped from my mouth before my brain caught up with me, my voice sounded flat and emotionless. Cold. Isabel faced me and smirked right in my face. When did she become such a cow?

  "Oh no Annie, I was just wondering when you became so stupid and such a loser." She said simply, looking me right in the eyes. I once thought she was sweet and bubbly, now all I see is a mean and hurtful girl who once was my closest friend. She must have been faking it the whole time. She was probably my 'friend' just so she could get closer to my brother, and when he died, bye-bye Annie.

  "Funny, because I was just wondering when you became such a bitch!" I yelled, pushing back my chair and standing up, my hands balled at my sides. I had never been so angry at anyone in my whole life. Who the hell does she think she is? She stood up too and folded her arms across her chest, glaring at me.

  "Oh fuck off Annie, this has always been me but you were just too blind to see it. It would have been alright if you kept me and Chloe close after your dad and brother were killed, but no! You just pushed us away like we were nothing to you!" She was shouting now, and people were whispering about us all around the class. Our teacher was just stood at the front, absolutely clueless. What a twat.

  "What did you expect me to do, throw a fucking party and get smashed? Have a sleepover and watch The fucking Notebook? My dad and my brother died Isabel! How did you think I would feel? What the fuck do you know about any of it?!" I was screaming but I really didn't care anymore. This bitch needed a lesson in respect.

  "Chloe and I just wanted to be there for you, that's all!"

  "Pfft, yeah right! You just wanted to shack up with my brother, that's the only reason you ever hung around with me! And now he's dead, you don't want to know me anymore!" I was out of breath and tears were streaming down my cheeks. Oddly, Isabel was crying too, the mascara running down her cheeks created strange patterns and her eyes were full of pain.