Chapter 15

Liam's POV:

 I had been tossing and turning for ages now, well it had only been half an hour but it felt longer. Whenever I tried to close my eyes, all I could see was the terrified expression on Annie's face when the paps turned up. I should have soothed her and comforted her, but instead I almost reduced a few paps to mush on the road.

  Sighing deeply, I felt around for my phone and then unlocked the screen. No new messages or missed calls. I was starting to worry, Annie always texts me back without fail. No, I was over-thinking things. It was almost 10pm and Annie had school tomorrow so she'd probably be asleep. Even so, when I rolled over to try and go to sleep, I had an anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach that just wouldn't go away.

  "Oh my God." I groaned as I shuffled out of bed, finally giving up on the idea of sleep. I padded down the stairs quietly, thinking the boys were asleep. What a wasted effort. All four of them were lounging around the TV and watching repeats of Friends. Grumbling to myself, I walked slowly to the kitchen and poured myself a glass of cool water.

  "Liam? Is that you?" Louis called.

  "No Louis, this is just some crazy fan who happened to sneak past the four of you and will now proceed to take cuttings from your fabulous locks." I said sarcastically, walking into the lounge and throwing myself down beside Zayn.

  "I have no time for your sarcasm Liam." Louis sniffed, holding up his hand and directing it to my face while he looked away.

  "Oooh he gave you the hand! That's worse than the finger." Harry informed me, chuckling.

  I rolled my eyes and smiled, taking a small sip from my water.

  "Couldn't you sleep, mate?" Zayn asked quietly, drawing his knees up to his chest and resting his chin on top of them.

 "Nope." I popped the 'p'.

  "You should've come down earlier!" Niall told me, sounding like my Mum.

  I was about to come up with a quick insult when a sudden thunder clap sounded from outside, and the whole house lit up from the lightening.

  "Quick! Turn off anything electrical!" Louis shrieked, running around the house and wildly unplugging all the sockets.

  The four of us were still sat on the sofas, watching him with amusement. My ears perked up to a quiet tapping noise coming from outside.

  "Can anyone else hear that, or is it just me?" Niall whispered, gesturing towards the door.

  "I can hear it too." I murmured, slowly getting up from my spot and walking quietly up to the door.

  I turned around to see Harry close behind me, Zayn behind him, and Niall at the back clutching a golf club. I chuckled and placed my hand on the door-handle when we were all plunged into darkness.

  "Louis!" Niall hissed, his golf club raised.

  "That wasn't me! The power is out!" Louis hissed back from somewhere on the other side of the room.

  "Great!" Harry groaned.

  We were all startled when the tapping started up again, more urgent than before. I pressed my ear to the door and I heard sniffling accompanied by soft whimpers. Someone was crying on our doorstep.

  "I'm going to open the door," I whispered, "In three...two...one!" I yelled, yanking open the door and throwing it to the side. Niall leaped out from behind me like the leprechaun he is and raised his golf club over his head. The small cry brought me back to my senses.