Chapter 2

"Oy, oy. Here she is!"

"The mighty slaaag!"

This is what I was greeted with when I got on the bus. Twats. I tried to show them that I didn't care, but all I achieved was the inch or so that I managed to tug down my sleeves. Head bowed, I shuffled to the back of the bus and sat in the corner, various horrible comments and jeers followed me. I wish the ground would just swallow me up. I wish Dad was here. No! Don't think that. My nails bit into my palms but I was immune to the pain. Digging into my bag, I pulled out my iPod and listened to a bit of You Me At Six.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the bus pulled up outside college. Going to college in London was bad enough, but the traffic delayed you by about half an hour, which is why I was late to my lesson. As I walked into the classroom, everyone looked at me like I had just completed a massacre. Right then. 

"Why are you late?!"

And there is the delightful voice of my History teacher, Miss Carpenter. She had never liked me, probably due to the fact that I had insulted her tragic hairstyle in front of everyone on the first day. Then again I was, am, grieving.

"Bus was stuck in traffic" came my short reply, I really couldn't care less about this class, or about how it disrupted Miss Carpenter's precious lesson. I just wanted to get out of here already, and I'd barely been in for five minutes.

After a disgruntled sniff from Miss Carpenter and a few sniggers from the class, the lesson was resumed. I could see Chloe on the front row, her perfect blonde hair tied back in a ponytail on the top of her head. She seemed to sense me looking at her because she turned around in her seat and stared at me with her piercing blue eyes. I thought she was about to smile at me, but then Isabel, who sat behind her, kicked her chair rather roughly, which made her turn around. Ever since I had lost touch with them both, Isabel had never batted an eyelid in my direction. It was clear she wanted nothing to do with me, that our friendship had meant nothing to her. All these feelings of anger and sadness welled up inside me until I felt like I was about to explode. Grabbing my books and my bag I got up suddenly, causing the chair to crash to the floor, and stormed out of the class with tears streaming down my face. Miss Carpenter didn't even try to stop me. What a useless waste of space.

I ran blindly for the gates and luckily saw no teachers. All I could think about was my Dad and my brother, and how if they were still here, my life would me so much better and so less shit. Hurriedly, I wiped the tears from my cheeks, and I was walking so fast that I didn't notice where the hell I was going. Looking around me, all I saw on this desolate street was a Subway, a Nandos and a Tesco's Express. A memory was niggling at the back of my mind, fighting to get out, but I forced it back into the murky depths. Nevertheless, it pulled me towards Nandos with a force so strong I couldn't resist. It wasn't as though I had lost control of my entire body, and that I was possessed. It was just that I needed to be there, that Nandos was my number one choice for unexplained reasons. 

As soon as I walked through the door, the exotic smell of chicken and sauces greeted me, and I know I made the right choice. I don't know how long I stood there for. I guess I was trying to forget Mums reaction when she finds out that I skipped college again, or the horrible names that I was called on the bus. 

I was jolted back into the present by a tall, muscular man who bumped into my shoulder with some force. Well he's obviously bloody keen to get his Peri-Peri chicken. I was just about to hurl an insult at him, when he spun around. Those chocolate brown eyes captivated me and seemed to have a rather alarming impact on my ability to speak.

"I'm so sorry! I really should watch where I'm going." His deep voice vibrated through my entire body as memories of months gone by invaded my entire mind, for this was the voice of Liam Payne, member of One Direction. A band I vowed to forget forever.