Kiera

I carry my bag of snacks and start heading down the sidewalk. "Kiera." I turn around and see Terrell. "What you doing here Unc?" I smile walking to Aug uncle car. "Back in for the weekend. You heard about Sky?"

"What happen to Sky?" Sky is my lil baby whenever I go over Tika, August Aunt's, house. "She was outside playing on the playground when a stray bullet hit her." My heart drops. "Terrell no man. Who did it?" He shrugs his shoulders shaking his head. "We don't know yet but you know we gone find out. DJ and Man been on the hunt. Shit don't make no sense."

"That's so sad. When the funeral?" A car pulls up behind him. "Hop in, I'll give you a ride." I walk over to the passenger side of Terrell's car and get inside. "It's gone be Sunday... Damn Kiera what happen to your arm?"

"Man it's a long story T but just know they got they asses beat and the other hoe gone get what's coming to her." He laughs shaking his head, "Lo you gone solve all yo problems like that?" He asks. "If that's the way it has to be then so be it. People try me like fool is written across my forehead and words don't work. Once people perceive you a certain type of way it's only so many options you have to get your point across."

"That actually makes sense Lo. But maybe it's the way you talking, how you're wording things. My homegirl runs an argue and debate technique class over at the Rec. You should check it out. I know you can argue so may as well put it to use." I shrug my shoulders, "I guess."

"What's up with you and my knucklehead nephew?"

"We good. Better than him and that Cherokee hoe."

"Lo." I laugh, "What? We are. Fuck that hoe. I should've popped her when I had the chance too." He shakes his head. "Have either one of you thought about y'all not being the problem. Maybe it's him."

"He plays a part just as much as I do but I don't care. I love him and he loves me. I'll be damned if I just let that bitch have the best thing to ever happen to me. Besides she's the one that's so bother by me. At first I did care she was in the picture but I could care less bout the hoe.. Now every time she's with him I'll come to mind. That itself is enough to make me smile like I just won the lottery."

"Kiera that's petty as hell and you deserve a hell of a lot better, Aug being my nephew or not. I know a good woman when I see one."

"Well T he's what I want. Like I said she's irrelevant to me. I'm done arguing with these hoes. Either throw some hands or shut the fuck up... I'll get out right here."

"It was good to see you Lo. Hopefully I'll see you at the funeral."

"Of course. Ima come by Tika place tomorrow."

He watches me walk inside my apartment before pulling off. I open the door and August is finally up. "Where you was at?" He asks. "Walked to the store. You heard bout Sky?" I ask sitting my bag on the counter. "Yeah. Tika called me last night and told me."

"And you ain't tell me?"

"You was too busy trying to kill Cherokee."

I roll my eyes hard as hell. "Don't speak on that hoe around me."

"I'm just letting you know why I forgot to mention it to you."

"Whatever." He's not off the hook yet. I walk inside my room and take my shoes off. "Baby." August calls out walking inside my room. "I'm still mad at you. Dont come in here laying on my bed." I say as he makes himself comfortable. "I love you Kiera."

"Sure you do August." He grabs my hand and places a kiss on my wrist. "Where this bracelet come from?" He asks. "Not you." I say snatching my hand. "Kiera London Simmons."