Chapter 23 - Anthony

I hate the smell of hospitals. The kitchen, where my world usually revolved, had such wonderful smells. Bread, fresh from the oven, is a one way trip to heaven. I stopped breathing through my nose to quell the invasion of the sterile medicinal stench. If I used my nostrils too much, the strong odors would burn themselves into the olfactory glands, rendering them useless for testing sauces for many hours.

"I'm here to see Mr. Sabbatini," I told the nurse at the front desk.

"Name?"

"Anthony Lewis," I said. I raised my sleeve to my nose, hoping it would filter the new smells that wafted down the hall. The nurse turned a few pages in the book and found my name.

"Room 108," the nurse said with a smile. I nodded and moved quickly, hoping to get into his room where at least some of the odors would be stilled.

The room was dark as it always was. The curtains were pulled shut as if the sun would do damage to the old man in the bed. Sabbatini had already lived a lifetime and a half. All of his exposed skin was shriveled and sported spots that looked more like a disease than the normal paint of the aged. His eyes, with their dark black irises, were still very much alive. They had never lost their alertness, nor the ability to demand my allegiance.

"Good morning, Mr. Sabbatini," I said formally. There was nothing informal about the man. Even bedridden, respect was demanded and given freely.

"You have news, Anthony?"

"I think we found it, sir." It came out with less confidence than I intended. I disliked how weak Sabbatini made me feel.

"Think?"

"I am fairly confident," I said with more strength. "I'll have it verified in a day or so."

"It's taken, what, 20 years?"

"17, sir," I said, blanching at correcting such a powerful man.

"You know what this means to me," Sabbatini said. "To meet my maker without ridding the world of this devil spawn is unthinkable. It is the sole reason I was put on this earth and the reason I insist on still breathing today."

"Yes, sir," I agreed as if dissent was possible.

"What makes you think you've found it?"

"It looks like she got herself into..."

"She!" Sabbatini shouted.

"It, sir," I corrected, forgetting that humanizing a demon was the first step to damnation.

I had followed so many dead ends for 17 years. Now, the search may be at an end. To think I once had it in my hands and failed, more worried about my life than the fate of the world.

"It was attacked by a young man," I said.

"God's messenger," Sabbatini nodded. The whole incident became public because of the boy. I smiled at the sign I hadn't recognized. God was calling out to us.

"Another young man, one with fighting skills, came to its protection in a most violent way," I continued. "The incident was filmed on a phone and posted on the Internet."

"It's building an army," Sabbatini concluded. "You'll have to move quickly before its numbers increase." A shiver ran through me at the thought of more of its warriors fighting like the one on the video. The man looked unstoppable powered by the fires of hell. "Why are you sure it was the demon?"

"Its adoptive mother was there," I answered proudly. "I will never forget her face."

"Careful," Sabbatini said, "It corrupts those close to it. Once they are turned, they will defend it with their lives." I nodded, remembering well the attack on Corbett's house.

"Once we are sure," I said, "we'll take it out from a distance. Let's see it dodge a bullet." Sabbatini smiled and ran his hand through the few sparse gray hairs that still clung to his spotted head. A man who did not know the strength of his faith like I did, would have considered the yellowed smile ominous. I knew it for what it was, the Lord's servant finally seeing God's will being done.

"Yes," Sabbatini said, "whatever it takes. All my resources are at your disposal." His eyes moved to the ceiling as his smile grew. "If only Blackstone were alive to see the culmination of our efforts."

"I won't fail you this time," I promised.

"See that you don't," Sabbatini stated. "Contact me the moment it's done."

"Yes, Sir," I said, then left the room dismissed with a wave of his hand. Exiting the hospital, I took a deep breath and let the fresh air cleanse my nose. It was a setback, allowing the beast to reach maturity. Nothing that couldn't be corrected, but it would have been easier and less public if it could have been dealt with years ago. No matter. As God's warrior, I will claim victory in his name no matter the obstacles before me. I smiled at the lightness in my step. It was if God himself was lifting me higher.