Chapter Twenty Seven- Our Family

Tori

"Let me see him, damn it!" Dean shouted, eyes tearing up as he stood at the counter of the hospital.

The nurse, looking only slightly scared, answered back in a calm voice, "I'm sorry, sir, but he's still in intensive care. We cannot allow any visitors at this moment. You will be the first person I will tell once he is okay to see."

Dean bit his lip hard, trying to hold back tears, but they came down anyway. He left the desk and sat down in one of the chairs in the waiting room.

There was nothing that scared him more than this. Someone he loved in the hospital, possibly mortally wounded, all because of him.

If only Dean had listened to Cas and stayed inside with him. Then his Cas wouldn't be in the hospital. He wouldn't have been stabbed. He would be okay, and in dean's arms and they would be happy.

It's like the universe is trying to keep them apart. It's not fair. Who gives a shit if they're two guys? Who gives a shit if they come from two different social classes?

They love each other. Isn't that enough? Why can't they just be together?

Dean just set his head in his hands and tried to stop crying. He knew his gang would be here soon and he wouldn't let them see him crying.

He wipes his eyes and sniffles slightly, trying to stop tears from coming again. He gets up and excuses himself to the bathroom, washing off his face to try and get rid of the red blotchiness of his skin. Cas will be fine. Cas will be fine. He's going to be fine...

Dean squeezes his hand into a fist and refuses to let the onslaught of tears come. Cas will be okay. He'll come out of the hospital and they'll see each other and move far, far away from this city. From this state.

He walks out of the bathroom, seeing the Novaks at the front desk, along with his gang right next to them. They're all asking about what happened to Cas and if they can go see him.

The receptionist looks around before pointing over to Dean. Every head of the clan turns around and basically stampedes him. He's engulfed in hugs, kissed on the cheek (pretty sure it was Gabriel who did it, not Anna), and punched in the arm.

Dally comes rushing up, pushing everyone aside. "Where's Cas?" He asks worriedly. Dean looks down, rubbing his neck.

"He's in the intensive care unit. Bob stabbed him in the stomach and he was bleeding out by the time they got here. They're trying to help him right now. They...don't know if he'll make it." Dean says, his voice breaking.

Sam ushers over to Dean right away, pulling him away from the crowd of friends. Anna buries her face into Gabe's chest and sobs while Balthazar rests a gentle hand on her back. The gang is just looking at one another worriedly, concern for Dean written all over their faces.

Dean sniffles and looks at his little brother. "I'm fine, Sammy. Don't worry. I'm a big boy who can take care of himself."

Sam looks at him sadly. "It's okay to have someone care for you, Dean." He says. He bites his lip. "You just looked like you needed a moment alone. I know it's hard showing emotion in front of the guys."

Dean stands there for a moment, biting his lip before pulling Sam into a hug. "Thank you, Sammy." He whispers. Sam wraps his arms around him and hugs him tightly.

"Cas'll be okay, Dean. Don't worry. You guys have gotten through worse and still come out fine." Sam whispers. Dean nods his head, not saying anything.

The brothers pull away from each other, standing side by side. Dean smiles slightly at Sam and pulls him into his side. "Thanks for being a great brother, kid. Wouldn't  want anyone else by my side." He says quietly.