Chapter 10: The Truth

*RECAP*

I smiled and Oliver nudged me."Actually I have been meaning to tell you something..." Oliver turned in his seat and looked at me expectantly. "It's about the man that killed our moms..."

Oliver looked at me funny. "What about him...?"

I decided it was best to not sugar coat it. Oliver deserves to know and I don't want to get close to him and him not know the whole truth. "He is my father..."

Oliver dropped the fork he had been holding and it fell to the counter. He stared at me, his eyes looking directly into mine...

*NOW*

"W-What?" He stared at me in shock. "What do you mean he is your father?"

I looked away from Oliver, intimidated by his intent eyes. It was as if he was looking into my soul. "He is my father. He raised me, well he did until he found out my mother had cheated and had another person's child. He killed my mom when he found out. That was when I was eight. At first he just beat me and my brother, but I guess as time went on that wasn't enough. He lost his job and snapped. He became worse then he already was and started to kill again. He started to kill all the women that reminded him of my mother... I wanted to tell you... I just didn't want you to get mad..."

I looked up to see Oliver looking at me with sympathy in his eyes. "Alex, I could never be mad at you for that. We can't pick who our parents are. You had no control over him, he did everything in his own free will... What he did was his choice. He was the bad guy, not you."

A single tear rolled down my cheek. How could he not hate me? How could he not blame me? Why is he so positive? Why is he -- why is he so good? Oliver pulled me close to him and wrapped his arms around me. He whispered in my ear as he held me tightly. "Everything is gonna be just fine..."

************************

*Two days later* Daniel's POV*

I stared down at the paper on the counter in front of me. Alex moved gracefully through the book shop, stocking the shelves like always. I smiled at her, she seemed to just have a great joy about her. She seems so different. I turned my attention back to the poem and my smile fell. This is just stupid. What do I expect to accomplish?

I read the words on the page, they are terribly smudged by my constant erasing.

I picture your face,

and I know it's true.

Another minute flew by,

just thinking of you.

I sit here and I wonder.

I dream and I daze.

People all around me,

try to follow my gaze.

Smiling and grinning,

wondering too.

How many minutes flew by,

just thinking of you?

I close my eyes

and what do I see?

Your cute little face,

staring back at me.

I am always happy,

dreaming about you.

I could sit here for hours,

just watching you.

I look up from the poem to see Alex approaching me. I quickly hide the paper, not ready to confess my love for her. My bangs fall into my vision and I push them away so I can watch her. I smile at her smooth and agile movements. "Hey."

Alex's eyes shift to the floor before returning to me. Is she nervous? "Hey, I was wondering were the box cutter went. I can't find the spare and the one in the back just broke."

"Oh, I have it up here." I reach under the counter, not taking my eyes off hers, and retrieved the box cutter. I held it out to her and she watched my hand with uneasy eyes.

"Thanks." She took the box cutter from me nervously and put it in her pocket. She turned to leave but I quickly stopped her.

"What did you do last weekend?" My fingers brushed the folded papers in my pocket, they were all for her.

She smiled and looked at the floor again. "I went out to an old dinner with a really nice guy."

My jaw tightened as the guy from the week before came to mind. Him and his perfectly smooth and shy self. I told her not to trust him... "Oh, cool." I forced myself to stay calm, when on the inside my mind was screaming.

"Yeah, talk to you later, Daniel." She turned and disappeared into the back of the shop.

I slammed my fist onto the counter when she disappeared from view and cursed myself for not acting out sooner. I can't let her fall for him. She is mine!

**********

I slammed the door to my home, staggering through the hall in my drunken state. I looked at all the photos that hung on my walls as I traveled up the stairs. My mind played all the images through my head.

Alex smiling

Alex with her brother

Alex

Alex

Alex

"She is MINE!" I screamed at the empty house as I slammed my fist into the door to my room. The door flew open, crashing into the wall. I slammed it shut behind me. Leaning my back against it. I smacked the back of my head into the door repeatedly, trying to see what that guy has that I don't.

My eyes came upon the newspaper and photograph collage on the wall in front of me. I know every detail of her life. From when she was little, the hospital where she was born, and now, when her parents died and how. I looked at the mix of information that covered the entire wall. A single news clipping caught my eyes. I crossed the room and stared at it intently. The heading had caught my eyes.

Father of Two, Killing Innocent Women.

HA!

Those women were far from innocent. They were liars and cheaters. Evan saw those whores for what they really were and gave them their just desserts. They deserved to die the way they did. They cheated on those that loved them... But Evan had one thing wrong...

Evan missed one of the biggest offenders...

If he truly wanted to kill all the women like his whore wife, he should have killed Alex. Alex has become just like her mother. She has crushed my heart, stomping on my blind love for her. She is no better then all those other women!

I slammed my fist into the wall, over and over again. I was thrilled by the pain I was feeling. She deserves to die just like them! She deserves to be the continuence of her father's great legacy... and it's my job to carry that legacy out...

It will have to be perfect. She must die in the perfect way. Just like all those other women.

I ran my hand over my face, the blood on my knuckles staining my pale skin. I grinned like a fool, I can now see what I must do to win Alex. I must become...

Just like her Daddy.

****************************

Hey lovelies.. What did you think of this chapter? Interesting? So, I hope you like how the story is going so far... Comment and Vote. Let me know what you guys are thinking. Follow me and I will follow back. :))