Chapter 22: The Search

Derek Morgan and the rest of the FBI team separated to conduct their search for Daniel. The airport had agreed to delay all flights and the team needed to cover as much ground as they could. They had been informed over the police calls that Daniel had been spotted over by gate 241, a flight designated to leave for Canada.

Derek passed some very confused civilians as he pushed through the countless crowds in the airport. It was not going to be easy to spot Daniel Stone, but they all knew that they had to. He could not just get away with everything he had done. The world has suffered enough from the works of Evan Wright.

A suspicious figure rounded the corner of the corridor just ahead of Derek Morgan. Derek quickly stated what he had seen. "I think I just saw Stone. I am following the suspect..." Derek turned the corner and broke into a jog to follow the fleeing man.

"Daniel Stone!" Derek's anger filled voice cut through the airport terminal. The man turned out of reflex and Derek saw who it indeed was. "FBI! Freeze Daniel!"

Daniel Stone took off in a sprint. Derek quickly followed, gun drawn. Why did they always have to run? Daniel pushed innocent bystanders out of the way as he broke through the crowds.

"Freeze Daniel!!" Hotch's voice cut through the air causing Daniel to skid to a stop.

Daniel began to back away, getting closer to Derek. Daniel's grey eyes scanned his surroundings looking for anything that could help him get out of his current predicament.

"You have no where to go, Stone!" JJ stated, joining Hotch.

Daniel began to lower to the ground, knowing there was nothing else he could do. Though before he was down all the way, he stood back up quickly and grabbed the nearest bystander. A blade was pulled from his pocket and pressed to the base of the woman's neck. "Get back or her blood will be on your hands!!"

"You don't have to do this, Daniel. You can stop this. No one else needs to die. Turn yourself in." JJ reasoned as Hotch and Derek tried to get a clear shot.

Hotch could not get a clear shot because Daniel was using the woman as a meat shield. Derek on the other hand had a good angle, but it was not the shot that he wanted. The only shot he had was on Daniel's knee cap. Daniel pressed the blade tighter to the woman's neck and Derek did what he had to do. It wasn't the kill shot that he wanted, but at least the woman would be okay. He pulled the trigger.

The gun shot rang through the air and everyone was silent. Daniel fell away with a cry of pain and the agents all moved forward. JJ pulled the woman away from everything and Hotch dropped to put pressure on the gun shot wound. Hotch looked up as Derek approached. "Good Job, Morgan."

Derek knelt down, picking up the knife that Daniel had dropped. "That SOB deserves to die, Hotch..."

***********************

*Alexandra Wright's POV*

Cold. Dark.

The only two words that could describe where ever the hell I am.

I searched the empty darkness for anything, a person, an item, anything that could explain what this was. The dark abyss held no answers to my questions, but maybe, just maybe, I wasn't asking the right ones. A small light cut through the darkness and I had the urge to go to it. Maybe it was the way out, maybe it would lead to my answers, or maybe it was the light that everyone says they see just before they die.

I took a step forward, only my feet didn't move, nor was I actually standing on anything solid. This was more than a dark abyss. This was the emptiness and cold reality of nothingness. My body moved forward through the dark abyss. I was being pulled by the light.