Chapter 10: Lost

Chapter 10: Lost

"When we lose everything, humanity becomes the first thing we start looking for."

~~~~

Sungyeon

Mr. Jung, Jihye's doctor, leads us all out saying he needs to interrogate Jihye alone. Daeyeol, Sungyeol and I find mom and dad standing outside when we come out.

"Noona, what happened?" Daeyeol asks me again, and just as the first time I don't know what to say. In fact I don't even know the answer myself. What was wrong with her? She looked so scared of every single thing. Although I was glad when she calmed down when I hugged her, the door slammed open again she started crying harder.

I stand staring at blank space, deep into my thoughts and not replying Daeyeol yet again.

A pat on my shoulder jerks me back to reality, I tilt my head to the side to see  mom looking at me with a faint smile on her face, "How's the girl doing?"

"She...she.." I'm speechless. How's she doing? I don't understand, she didn't know her name and she didn't know anything about her personal life although she was communicating like a normal person.

The door of the room opens and the doctor came out, massaging his temples making my paranoia take over me.

"Ms. Sungyeon, can I talk to you please?" He announces across the hall, and I abruptly nod and follow behind.

I pass by Sungyeol, he looks frustrated as he rests his back against the wall. I shrug off the sight of him and enter the office.

"Is everything okay with Jihye?" I ask, the doctor takes a seat on his chair and exhales loudly. He leans onto the table resting his elbows over it and intertwining his fingers together.

"Take a seat please," he ushers me towards the chair across his desk. I sit down, "Ms. Sungyeon, Do you know what amnesic syndrome is?"

My breath hitches at his question. "Yes, of course. It's amnesia, or loss of memory." I reply, where is this going? I was in denial, I refused to believe although I'm well aware of what's being said.

"Jihye is diagnosed by this syndrome," he says looking at a file, "The memory can be either wholly or partially lost due to the extent of damage that was caused." My mind goes blank in shoke as he goes on, "I'm not sure about her case yet, but apparently only personal memories are missing. Her academic level is normal and her memory strong."

We don't even know who she is, what is this poor girl going to do with her life now?

"I think it's because what happened to her before the accident, her brain refused to accept what happened so it chose to forget instead of dealing with the incident." He explains, "This happens with many patients, and in this case there is no treatment. Her memories are supposed to come back alone. Over time."

I stay quiet, my eyes glued to my twisting fingers on my lap. "How is it supposed to come back alone?" I ask, confused.

"Take her to places she had been to before, her room, home and such. Old memories will be retrieved first since they became stronger over time, on the other hand recent ones may take a little while." I'm not her mom, I'm a stranger. What am I supposed to do?

"The kid is currently in an unstable state, mentally and physically. So please, she needs a lot of care and gentle treatment. Don't make sudden movements in front of her or shout for now, any violence may greatly affect her." He warns. "She can be discharged tomorrow, please take care."