Chapter Five, Part One

I took Lucifer’s hand after a few minutes of walking.

“Are you sure that you’re okay? I mean I heard that crunch!” He said. I laughed, he was flipping out, and I reached over with my mind and found his in utter horror and chaos.  I laughed harder.

“I’m fine, I’m positive. Stop asking.” I told him. We walked for a few more minutes, both lost in thought. “So you really know next to nothing about creatures and people of a wonderful and beautiful hidden world?” I asked him after a while.

“I know only what I absolutely need to know.” Lucifer said.

“My parents read me the stories, all of them, when I was a baby. When I was old enough to choose my own stories, I still choose the creature legends and stories. I loved them all. I loved the faeries, pixies, the hydras, Centaurs, Brownies, Cimmerians, the glow in the dark ercinee, Mermaids, there is an endless list, and I wanted to learn everything I could about every one of them. I don’t know everyone but I’d like to.” I said to him.  He kind of stared at me like he had no idea of what I was talking about. I laughed and squeezed his hand.

“Well, I’m guessing you can tell me about them if I meet them. There are supposedly a lot of creatures here, if you want to show me.” He said it, but it sounded like a question. I smiled at him.

“You really have to ask?” I said as I held aside a branch and found our way back to the path. He knew how to play dumb, that was for sure.

“Actually I do. I’ve only known you for two days but those two days have felt like forever.” He said looking me in the eyes. “You look like you have a few reasons....?” He asked.

“Well it could be past lives, or, well there’s a theory that has to do a little bit with heaven and god. Supposedly everyone has a spirit. While your spirit doesn’t have a form to take, it goes to heaven or hell depending on what it’s like. So then when your soul is in heaven it’s bound to meet some people. If they like a particular person, or don’t like a particular person then it shoes in the human mind. So if our souls got a form around the same time, and they had met each other, I’m assuming in heaven because you are an angel of light, then we would know each other, when we have never met each other.” I told him. He considered it for a few minutes as we walked in silence. I risked peeking up to look at him and found him staring at me. “It was something I read.” I said, feeling like a geek.

“It’s fine. The second one sounds more likely. But you’re saying soul mates?” He asked.

“Not exactly, see it’s this big theory, I know you’re soul but we don’t have to be together like they make you think in fictional books. It’s just that your souls may love each other, while your minds don’t. So technically I don’t have to be with you although it would be what comes naturally. Because your form has a mind and a soul, it’s like being 18 and living with your mom and dad. You can do what you want, but your parents, and in this case you’re soul, are there to guide you. But your mind and heart are yours and you have free will. Always remember that. I’m not saying I don’t want to be with you, because I do want to be with you, I know you at a soul deep level.” I told him, staring out at the ocean view. We were sitting on a stone bench. I had always hated sharing my feelings with others, it made me feel weak and vulnerable. But with Lucifer it came so easily. I was afraid to look at him for fear that he had chosen to go with free will, and away from me. He didn’t say anything and as the silence stretched on, I turned my head away.

“Sapphire, look at me.” He said I shook my head, staring at the stone wall. He put his hand under my chin and forced me to look at him. “If I didn’t want to be with you, I wouldn’t be here. There was just nothing left to say.” He said. His eyes were kind and caring. I hadn’t seen anyone look at me like that since James.