Tears Of Fire

A/N: I've had this sitting around for a LONG time, and I'm going to upload it, about a chapter a day if I have time, but for now I'll upload however many I feel :P I get bored quickly, so dont blame me.

********************** Prologue:

“Tell me, what is it you fear?” He says to me, I laugh.

“After all this, what is there to fear?” I ask him, he laughs with me as we sit on the porch, watching some of the forests around us crumble, watching people die.

“You could fear death.” He offers me.

“I do not fear death, I have kissed death, Sir. I have died.” I say to him, he sighs.

“Really? And how exactly is that?” This boy says to me. I laugh lightly. Demetri is always trying to figure out who I am, what happened to me.

“It is a long, long story.” I say to him and, for a while, we both stare off at the flames and the red sky. The sun nor moon either rises or sets anymore. She was that powerful. She took that power from me.

“Well, I don’t see why you can not share that story while we live, ma’am.” He says to me, I laugh, smoothing out my dress. The fashions are much as they were in the renaissance in Italy, poofy dresses for women and fancy suits and vests for men.

“I could start it, but where, dear Demetri, is the fun in that?” I say to him lightly as I lean my arm over him to delicately pluck a grape off the tray.

“Emily, who were you before this life?” Demetri asks me. We are always laughing at the silliest things.

“I was a girl, very short. I had blue black hair and black eyes.” I say, bringing a hand to the blonde curls that are piled delicately atop my head. I have lightly tanned skin and bright green eyes. I am five foot seven.

“That description rings a bell o f someone I read about.” He says, I laugh again.

“Yes, we did learn about her in history, in grade six, dear sir.” I say to him, he laughs.

“I slept through most of that class. You know that.” He saya teasingly.

“Sapphire Smith.” I speak easily, laughing.

“Then how are you here, Emily, didn’t she destroy her stone? The one object on earth that holds a bit of your soul, keeping you attached to the earth. If your soul is released, so are you, and you can not come back. So pray do tell ma’am, how?” He asks me.

“Simple. I can not die.” I say to him.

“But you make no sense.” He mutters, laughing at me. I sigh as a guard marches along the sidewalk. The entire world has now become a prison. A version of hell.

“I make perfect sense. I can not die. People kill me out of hate. If someone kills me out of love, I will stay dead.” I say to him. He looks confused.

“Still, you make no sense.” He said.

“I can not die easily. Everyone has a weakness. Sometimes you just need to work to find it.” I say, standing up.

“Where are you going?” He asks me, alarmed.

“To have a small chat with my Father. I will not let this war go on without me helping. I must help.” I say to him.

“But you’ll die out there. They don’t hate you, just what you stand for. If you die out there, you will die forever.” He says to me, I smile sadly.

“I know.” I say, he grabs my wrist as I turn away to walk down the warm, fire covered streets.

“He will not let you, you are a woman. This is a world where men do the work.” He says to me, I sigh, before getting slightly angry.

“You were not alive, nor was your father, but this was once a world where men and woman were equal. If a woman wanted a job, to fight, to not get married, to do what she wanted, she could do it. I will be fighting for those times, so let me fight. If I die, let me. I have long since lost interest in my own life. And in this unbearable world of pain, fire, and torture for entertainment, we are no better then when there were pirates in Spain and across the ocean! The world has not advanced as you think. It has gone backwards, I have seen this time and it’s horrors. For once, let me go, Demetri.” I say to him, yelling at parts but the last line was scarcely a whisper.

“But I will not let you die, no. Not alone.” He says to me, pulling me in for a hug.

“I will, I must. I love you, Demetri, but this is goodbye.” I say to him. I hold my palm against his cheek before holding up the folds of my skirts and running off to fight without him. I hear him fall to his knees and whisper my name, but then, all is lost in darkness as I turn the corner.