ix. Eyes of the Innocent

Annie stood on the now dark beach in a daze; watching the burning canoe on the lake. She cried, but she couldn't understand why. The girl had seen this episode several times; so why did it effect her so much now?

"Barely got singed in that boat," She could remember the Doctor saying; and she hoped so desperately that it was the Teselector, the actual Doctor miniaturized and inside of it.

Rory came out of the water, his gaze solemn as he comforted his wife. Canton Delaware, who had given them the canister of gasoline, left in his truck, and Annie sadly waved as he said, "Doctor Song, Amy, Rory, Annie, I won't be seeing you again. But you'll be seeing me."

They then arrived back at the diner, where Annie's spirits were lifted.

"The Doctor numbered  the envelopes," River was saying to them as they entered, "You got three, I was two, Mr. Delaware was four."

"So who's number one?" Annie had been drying her eyes as Rory acknowledged River.

"Who did the Doctor trust the most?" Annie whispered as there was a pause, but nobody had heard her.

"What I want to know is why he let Annie see that," said Rory angrily, but Amy was already stopping them.

"Will you guys shut up, it doesn't matter," She said, the grief noticeable in her eyes, "He's dead."

"It mattered to him," said Rory.

"So it matters to us!" River exclaimed.

"He's dead," Amy repeated, and Annie gave a sort of sob. Rory immediately approached his sister, intending to comfort her. While Rory rubbed Annie's back, River was the one to notice the already-opened TARDIS blue envelope.

"Excuse me, who was sitting over there?"

The man behind the bar shrugged, "Some guy."

"Number one," River said to them all, "The Doctor planned all of this, to the last detail! When you know it's the end, who do you call?"

"Er, your friends," Rory said, "People you trust?"

"Number one," repeated River, "Who does the Doctor trust the most?"

The door behind her swung open, and Annie could only notice the innocent eyes of the man she had seen fall.