x. Dealings in the Diner

"Just popped out to get my special straw," said the Doctor, "It adds more fizz."

This line had always made Annie laugh. She couldn't possibly laugh at it now.

"This is cold," River was saying, "This is cold, even for you."

"Or hello, as people might say," The Doctor said, a faint smile on his face, "Hello, River."

His response was a slap across the face.

"I'm assuming that's for something I haven't done yet," He gasped, shocked.

Annie was glued to Rory, clutching his arm tightly. The Doctor hugged Amy as she asked how could he be there, but she was separated from her brother as the man came to embrace him as well.

"Rory the Roman, that's a good title!" He rambled, and paused as he met Annie's wide blue eyes.

"Hello, Annie Williams," He said, but paused, "Are you okay?" The Doctor's voice was suspicious, and as his back was turned, River gave Annie a raised look.

Looking around, her eyes brightened and nodded, but said nothing. River seemed impressed as her entire demeanor changed from dark to light.

"I don't understand," struggled Rory, "How can you be here?"

"I was invited," answered the Doctor, "Date, map reference, same as you lot, I'd assume, or else it would be hell of a coincidence."

He pulled out the invitation from his back pocket, without the envelope, which River held.

"I don't understand," Amy was muttering, "Do you know what's happening?" she asked Annie, who was the least confused-looking out of all of them.

"I don't, what are we all doing here?" The Doctor demanded.

River's tentative answer was confirmed by Annie, who whispered, "Ask him how old he is," into Amy's ear.

"Bit personal," muttered the Doctor, placing the straw in his mouth again, "Nine hundred and nine," He added nonchalantly, and Annie gave a rueful smile to River, who looked at the little girl, wondering how she could know.

"What are we all doing here?" repeated the Doctor.

"We've... been recruited. Something to do with Space, 1969, and a man called Canton Everett Delaware the Third," said River, "By someone who trusts you more than anyone in the universe."

-------------------------------

Hello fellow readers! I would just like to thank you all so much for taking the time out of your day (or night, I've done that often enough!) to read my story. I apologize if I've gotten the lines from the episode a bit mucked up, because I'm writing this from memory to avoid complete plagiarism.

-MaeveWho (Maeve E. Pond) :)