Stop Standing There

Chloe drummed impatiently on her steering wheel, waiting for Max to exit the gas station. This drive was agonizingly long, and things were kind of awkward between the two of them. Max didn't talk at all, and Chloe just kept driving, pretending she didn't mind.

She knew they had to talk about what the hell was going on. Max was clearly uncomfortable that Chloe and Rachel were actually a thing, but she was acting like she didn't care. It was clear they were both scared about what would happen if they discussed their feelings for each other, but with the way things were going any moment could be their last. They couldn't waste another minute.

Yet Chloe was still a huge coward. She would never come out with her real feelings. How was she supposed to know if Max actually liked her like that? Sure, there were signs, but they could have just been signs of friendship. Even Chloe herself had been in denial about having a crush on her. It would ruin their friendship, and she clearly wasn't over Rachel...

She could always just wait for Max to say something... Anything... But things didn't seem that simple for either of them. It was all bullshit! This wasn't going anywhere!

Max opened the truck door, leaping in and putting on her seat belt, a bag of various things inside.

"Food." She stated, putting the bag beside them. She opened her phone, dialing a number.

"Who're you calling?" Chloe asked, starting to drive away from the gas station quickly.

"Kate. The storm had to have been on the news by now. I've already texted my parents but-" She put the phone to her ear, looking out of her window.

They had searched up information about the storm not long ago. There were plenty of survivors, but compared to how big the city used to be, it actually wasn't that big of a number. Some parts of the city weren't effected by the tornado at all, luckily.

"Hey Kate. No- I'm fine. Don't worry. It was a surprise to see the storm come." Max finally said over the phone, her voice soft and steady. Chloe looked at her from the corner of her eye, draping her hand across the steering wheel.

"I know. It's crazy. It seems storms are following us." Max tried her best to force out a laugh, but it came out more as an awkward cough.

"Just keep me updated on your situation and I'll tell you about mine, don't worry. Okay. Bye." She set the phone on the dashboard, then looked at Chloe.

"Okay. So... Your mom and David are fine as usual. Everyone is." Max said and she nodded in response.

"Max. We're going to have to talk about what just happened."

"I'd rather not."

"Come on." Chloe hissed, annoyed. They just needed to open up to each other, starting with something as simple as a conversation about a storm.

"What am I supposed to say, Che? I was right and you were wrong? That because we helped some innocent boy we killed thousands of others?" Max yelled, rolling down her window. The wind blew her hair in her face, masking it.

"Jesus, Max! Stop just fucking sitting there! We need to discuss this! We didn't kill anyone, a fucking tornado did! Jeez. You need to stop feeling guilty about things you have no control over!" Chloe yelled back. Max looked out her window in response and Chloe rolled up the window angrily.

"How many times do I have to tell you this? It's clear the storms aren't your fault, you had nothing to do with this!"

"Two people with time powers. Two storms. Two friends that keep dying. How is that a coincidence?" Max choked.

Shit. I can't hear her cry! Chloe panicked.

"It's over Max. It's done. We're leaving Seattle. We're going to LA. We can start a life there. I can draw, and you can take photos. It's going to be tough, but we can do it." She stated, trying to stay calm. She began breathing heavily, trying to keep her pulse steady.

"How are things ever going to be okay?" Max asked quietly and Chloe sighed.

"Because it's you and I Max. Forever. We can do this together." She hoped that didn't sound like a loving thing... She didn't want Max to think she was flirting. But she did mean it like that.

"I don't know if I can do this."

"You can. We can." Chloe couldn't tell if she was trying to convince herself of it too.