~CHAPTER 16~

Glow and Corona followed the family inside to sit with Zinc. She was a massive dragon, almost twice as big as Morrowseer, if Glow could make a proper estimate, but far more elegant in her eyes. She bore the same violet markings as the rest of the family. The cavern was gigantic and spacious. It made Glow feel puny in comparison. The clicking of their talons echoed around the cavern, adorned top to bottom with the same decorative violet curtains.

       A table was situated in the centre, at which Zinc stood behind. Citrine and Amethyst sat on either side of her and the rest seated down. Falcon seated himself on Corona's left, followed by the twin sisters. Vermilion sat on Glow's right, though his energy made Glow's scales prick and quiver. Glow started to feel a rush of dread creeping inside her. I shouldn't have told them I'm the SkyWing dragonet of destiny. What's Vermilion going to do now that he has that information? She looked over to him. His expression wasn't one filled with malice or simple disinterest. It was more an expression of conflict and discomfort. He wouldn't betray me...would he?

       "Ahem." Zinc began with a cough. "So, you wish to learn the true history of the SkyWing and RainWing kingdoms. Is that correct?" She asked firmly. Glow, struck with awe at the gargantuan dragon, simply nodded. Zinc took a deep breath as she examined the two foreigners. "We wanderers oftentimes have each other and only each other. It is difficult to trust other dragons outside of your family clan when you are as unjustly despised as we are." Zinc sympathized. Her head hung low. "You are the only dragons to ever take an interest in us without judgment or the interest to exploit or steal." She admitted.

       Citrine nudged her thoughtfully. "Mother, it would be wise to make haste. They should hear your tale before they are missed." The yellow dragon cast a dark look towards them. "Cinnabar is already suspicious enough as is." He said. Zinc hissed in disgust at the name.

       "Cinnabar. To think that that is what justice is represented by." She raised her glistening snout wearily towards her patient audience. "Very well. I shall begin the tale." She placed her delicate claws on the table and rose, proud and tall.

       "Long ago, thousands of years ago before even the mysterious NightWings existed, before the Scorching, but before Scavengers were the scourge they are today, there were three tribes. Those that lived in the eastern sea and on the coast–the ancient SeaWings. Those that lived in the mountains and forests in the centre of this land– the ancient SkyWings. And those that lived on the western deserts and southern delta– the ancient SandWings. Each tribe had its rulers and heirs responsible for protecting and leading their citizens.

       "The heirs, however, were the ones that sparked the movement and change that would push our kind to where it is today. The SeaWings were ruled by Queen Siren and King Makara. The SandWings were ruled by King Dunewalker, whose queen– Queen Comettail –died from a Dragonbite Viper attack. And lastly, the SkyWings were ruled by Queen Forestfire. The queen was a very powerful and strict dragon who believed in traditions and customs. She was a very stubborn dragon, although she was not known for cruelty. Although strict, she was fair. Her mate was a common dragon named Ibex who she cared for very much.

       "Their heirs were Princess Inferno and her younger brother named Prince Flare. They both loved them very much, and they grew to be very strong and respected dragons. Inferno, however, was a very stubborn dragon. Her mother's tendency for rules and restrictions to be enforced did little for Inferno. She, unlike her mother, did not believe in tradition and stagnation. She was the first to advocate for change. Some dragons struggled in the kingdom to meet the living standards set in place by the queen, and the fiery princess begged her mother to change something. Her mother refused her, telling her 'That's simply the way it must be done.'