~CHAPTER 33~

Clay and Tsunami landed beside the grate above Kestrel. Glow followed suit, and settled beside them with Corona. The rust-coloured SkyWing's yellow eyes glared at Clay through the bars and then opened in recognition when they landed on Glow.

       "What are you doing here?" She hissed.

       "Rescuing you." Tsunami snapped back. "Against my will."

       "Be grateful that Clay was kind and forgiving enough to convince Tsunami to help save you, Kestrel." Corona quipped.

       "Stand back." Peril said as she reached for the metal lattice-work. Her claws laced through the metal and they instantly began melting, the familiar wafting scent of melting metal following.

       Kestrel watched Peril with an uneasy expression, her forked tongue flicking in and out slowly. Peril remained focused on the bars. They were thicker and took longer to burn through than Sunny's birdcage.

       "I thought you were dead." Kestrel said.

       "I thought you were dead." Peril replied coldly.

       "I heard Scarlet had a lethal new champion." Kestrel said. "I didn't know it was you."

       Peril merely shrugged. "I guess I didn't need you. I turned out all right without you." Glow caught the doubtful glance exchanged between Clay and Tsunami, and exchanged glances with Corona. She had I'd stand to disagree written all over her sandy-coloured black-tipped face.

       "Queen Scarlet took care of me." Peril continued. "She found me the black rocks I needed and gave me a purpose and a place to live."

       "Black rocks? What black rocks?" Kestrel broke in.

       "Hey! Stop!" A pair of SkyWing guards shouted from the tunnel.

       Glow shook her head vigorously. "Agh! Nevermind all that! Where's One-Eye?" She asked Kestrel.

       She pointed down the tunnel. "Down the hall to the left – if you can get past the guards, that is."

       Glow and Corona dropped down and entered. "Good. We need to free him, too." She responded.

       Charcoal and Flashover landed on the grate behind them. "We'll stand guard here and make sure no one comes through if there is anyone." Flashover reassured.

       Charcoal nodded, but lifted her talon nervously. "And please...do rescue my father. He doesn't deserve to die like this." She added desperately.

       Glow nodded towards her and turned to face the guards. They charged out and Tsunami had a bolt of fire shot at her from one of the guards. Clay quickly guarded her and the heat blasted him all over. After that, his scales simply glowed red and faded, much to the guard's surprise.

       Tsunami lunged at the other guard, slashing his side and slamming her tail into his head. He staggered backwards into Glow and threw himself back at Tsunami, beating him with her wings. Glow threw herself onto him in response, gripping him tightly by the horns, wrangling him like a wild bull.

       Clay's guard attacked him at the same time. They grappled, and she raked the wounds already on his back. Corona flew in just as he heaved her off, and hooked her tail towards the guard defensively, hissing at her. Corona feigned a tail lash at the guard and she leaped backwards in recoil, smashing the bars of Kestrel's cell. They snapped off and Kestrel emerged and roared, huge and fierce.

       The chains clearly chipped and chafed at her scales and her claws were blunted, as if she were trying to claw her way to freedom. "Kill them and let's go!" she snarled.