~CHAPTER 23~

Glow awoke to the prodding of warm talons. A voice whispered to her in the darkness of their dorm. "Wake up, Glow – your friend is here to see you." Corona whispered calmly.

       The red SkyWing turned her head toward the doorway. Sure enough – Peril was standing there, calmly waiting for Glow to stand. The whole group began to stir as well; they seemed rather buzzed. Maybe they're excited about meeting Peril. She thought wistfully. It made sense to Glow, considering they all decided they would take her in.

       Frigga was the first to rise. The calming chill of her scales left Glow's body and her face flopped to the floor harshly. She quickly fumbled to her feet and the rest of her group stood tall after her. Peril and Frigga both looked apprehensive as they locked eyes, blazing azure and the blue of an midday's snowy sky – two very different dragons.

       Peril cautiously stepped inside, bowing her head respectfully to the pale blue IceWing. Corona intercepted her, inspecting her top to bottom. Despite Peril's scrawny gait, Corona still looked small in comparison, although the SandWing had more muscle to her. Corona's black eyes scanned Peril's coppery steaming body carefully. She then sat politely (probably after she was done suspiciously inspecting her) and addressed her formally. "Hi, I'm Corona. I'm Glow's best friend and one of the newer apprentices to Frigga. I'm assuming you're the SkyWing named Peril we've heard about." Corona introduced.

       Peril awkwardly sat and looked away. "Yep. That's me, the queen's arena champion – and Glow's friend." She smiled dopily at the word friend. Corona looked unconvinced, but remained polite. Glow wasn't sure why, but the atmosphere between them was making her feel really funny. She felt fluttery and uncomfortable. She felt like she wanted to take off and scream her confusing feelings into her pillow at home. But why? They're both my friends, why is this making me feel so weird?

       "Nice to meet you, Peril. I hope we'll get to know you better." Corona finished. She got up and sat next to Glow, protectively swinging her covered tail around Glow.

       Peril eyed Evenstar curiously. Evenstar looked bewildered, as if something wasn't going as expected. "So. You're Evenstar, right? I've heard a lot about you. You seem like a smart dragon." Evenstar merely dipped his head in a bow respectfully. "It's nice to meet you." Peril added.

       Kite stepped forward. He seemed rather unsure, but he looked optimistic, as usual. "Wow, you're really warm." He said, marveling at the heat emitting from Peril's scales. She shifted uncomfortably, fully aware of herself. "I like it."

       Peril's eyes lit up brightly in surprise. "R-really?" She asked in shock. Glow was equally shocked. I thought he was afraid that she'd burn him.

       "Yeah!" He confirmed. "It feels like being next to the burning coals at home when Frigga and Corona are welding or smithing." Kite explained. He started to get closer to her. Glow could feel everyone tense up in discomfort and worry.

       Peril backed away in fear, waving her talons in front of her quickly. "Don't get any closer to me – I don't want to accidentally burn you." She explained quickly, trying to protect him.

        Kite had an injured look in his hazel eyes, but he returned to the group with a smile. "I still like how warm you are." He affirmed.

        Peril strode up to Frigga. Her expression was...complicated. Her brows were furrowed and her eyes squinted. She had a look of...shame? Or was it anxiety? Glow couldn't really tell, honestly. Peril hung her head low, refusing to look the IceWing in the eye. Yep, definitely shame. "I'm sorry, Frigga. I'm sorry about Horizon." She started. The whole room waited for the IceWing's response. "I didn't know he was someone important to you, and I'm sorry that I –"