~CHAPTER 31~

Glow couldn't believe it. How could Morrowseer have known where they were? Did they really possess mind reading capabilities? Did they foresee that this would happen and intervene? Or perhaps they had spies within the city. Glow wasn't certain, and she also wasn't certain whether Morrowseer's arrival was a good thing or a bad thing.

       The arena went silent. The guards hovered in the sky, halfway through unchaining the IceWings. Glow caught a confused and frightened look from Snowstorm on her spire.

       All the dragons had their eyes glued to Morrowseer, whose blackness seemed to absorb all the light around him. He pointed to Starflight and addressed Queen Scarlet. "This dragonet is ours."

       Just him? What about the other four, aren't they part of the prophecy? She tried not to think of her own place in the prophecy, in case Morrowseer decided to take her and abandon Glory. And what about Evenstar? He's a NightWing too, isn't he? In fact, it had only just now occurred to Glow that the little green-black NightWing was nowhere to be found. Everywhere in the arena that Glow looked, she couldn't see him. It was like he had vanished. Where had he gone? Was he alright?

       "'Ours' who?" Queen Scarlet questioned. "We found him with some Talons of Peace revolutionaries. Are you telling me the NightWings have finally chosen sides?"

       Burn snarled in response. "Are you allying yourselves with an underground peace movement instead of a real queen?" Glow rolled her eyes with a sarcastic snort. "Real queen" she says. Shut up, you're still a princess, and you'll be dead before you get the chance to change that. Glow looked over at Frigga to see her eyes grow dark and menacing, as if she wanted to claw Morrowseer's pompous face right off and hang it above her station in the forge.

       Morrowseer glanced up at his battalion of NightWings circling above. "No." He said, his deep voice rumbling the whole arena. "I come only to claim this dragonet as ours. We will take him and go."

       "Oh, will you?" jeered Scarlet. "On whose authority? Would your mysterious queen like to appear and discuss this matter with me?"

       Morrowseer's black eyes glimmered dangerously. "Do not anger the NightWings, sky dragon. Give us our dragonet."

       Queen Scarlet stamped her foot in frustration, like a dragonet who just had their toy taken away from them. "No! I want to see him fight IceWings! It's my hatching day!"

       Glow began to feel a pit drop in her stomach, and the look of fear glistening in Frigga's eyes agreed. There was a pause before Morrowseer twitched his tail the tiniest bit. Several NightWings came crashing down out of the sky, and Glow couldn't stop herself. "SNOWSTORM! LOOK OUT!" She screeched.

       The IceWing in question whipped her head around at the black dragons trying to attack her, shooting her frostbreath at them as they tried to approach, not wanting to go down easily. Frigga was visibly struggling, trying to get free to save her only living family member left. The other IceWings were killed instantly, their silvery bodies dangling from their towers as their blue blood oozed down the sides.

       The more Snowstorm put up a fight, Morrowseer noticed. He waved a claw and the NightWings stopped attacking. Morrowseer flew up gracefully and stood on the spire. Snowstorm's proud and graceful body dwarfed in comparison to the large black dragon looming before her.

       "You." His voice rumbled. Snowstorm's pastel blue eyes glittered with anger and contempt. "You look exactly like that foolish IceWing commander who tried to make a treaty between our tribes fifteen years ago." He hissed.