~CHAPTER 36~

Ore and Combustion tore a branch each off one of the trees and stripped them of their leaves and excess branches. They were thick and heavy – the perfect clubs for their plan.

       "I think those will work perfectly." One-Eye said, eyeing their makeshift weapons. "These should knock out those guards without much resistance."

       "So, we knock the guards unconscious, and then we just rush in?" Charcoal asked her father.

       "Not right away. Once we knock 'em out, we need to look inside and see what exactly we're dealing with." He answered. He looked over at Glow and Corona and pointed to them. "You two. You can check. You're smaller than us, so it'll be easier for you to look inside without getting caught. Are you alright with that?"

       Glow and Corona both nodded. "Not a problem, general." Corona said, dipping her head respectfully.

       Glow clenched her jaw, wincing and running a tongue where her front teeth used to be. Anything to save Kite. Anything to bring him back. "I've done it before. This will be easy for me." Glow answered.

       One-Eye nodded, lifting a tail for the others to fall in behind him. They encroached on the cave, keeping to the shadows of the wood shielding them. The one-eyed red SkyWing gestured with his head forward for Ore and Combustion to move forward, creeping along each side of the cave. Their clubs were ready to strike and their steps were silent.

       The two SkyWing guards were unsuspecting and oblivious to the danger lurking behind them. Ore had her club in her talons, ready to strike. Her muscles rippled with straining effort, trying to remain incognito in her attack.

       Then, she swung hard and fast. With a thunk, the red guard crumpled to the ground silently. All that was heard from Combustion's end was an audible what the-? before the same thunk sound was heard and the crumpling of another body.

       Combustion and Ore dragged the SkyWings' bodies toward the trees soundlessly. They were limp, flopping over the grass and roots like wet cloth. Glow wasn't sure if they were even alive until she noticed the slow rising and heaving of their chests once they were placed.

       "Your turn." One-Eye said to Glow and Corona.

       Glow nodded and pointed for Corona to go on Ore's side. The SandWing slunk slyly to the edge of the cave and peered inside, her black eyes darting around the cave observantly. Glow craned her neck and looked inside, seeing several shades of deep red to bright orange. Her amber eyes carefully picked out each shape that was inside. It was a spacious cave, so it held a lot of dragons, but not so many that it was cramped.

       Glow counted around twenty SkyWings, pacing and discussing with each other, completely unaware that the two guards outside have disappeared. Well. That's a problem. There's too many. Her eyes flicked to the back of the cave. Sure enough, there she was, the savage captain promoted general by her evil queen. Cinnabar's silver wings twitched irritably while her menacing glare scanned the cave.

       Right beside her, the small yellow-orange dragonet that made Glow's heart sigh with relief. Although, something about him threw her off. She expected him to be curled up tightly and trembling. Yet, he was just standing there. His wings drooped and his head hung low. He looked...weak. He looked as if all hope and life was drained out of him and he had completely given up. Glow couldn't stand seeing him like that; it burned her up seeing Kite so hopeless.

       She needed to figure out a way to make this fight easier. Maybe if we can draw them out somehow. Glow looked down towards her foot and noticed some rocks nearby. She didn't want to reach down in case she was noticed, but it did give her an idea. She signaled to Corona to head back to One-Eye, and the SandWing nodded and slunk away.