Chapter Ten: Everyday Battle

My eyes opened to see the sunlight blazing in through the window. Rustling Cole's arm slightly, I stood up and stretched my arms, legs, and wings.

"Rise and shine," I said tapping Cole on the shoulder. He sat up drowsily and looked at me. "Hey Bells," he yawned.

"Hey. Cole we gotta go. About 30 miles from us theres a boy about to get beaten up for wearing pink. Lets go." Supernatural angel senses.

"How is that demonic?" Cole asked, slightly confused.

"Its not," I answered impatiently. "But its wrong and angels never over look wrong. Cmon."

Cole sighed. "Fine, fine. Im coming. In case youre wondering I cant fly but I can glide through air. We can be there in a matter of minutes."

We both left the tree house and flew up in the air. Following my senses, I determined that the incident was West. Before we knew it, there were yells of "Faggot!" and "Wimp!"  I looked down to see two boys shove a much smaller boy to the ground.

I scowled and Cole followed me as I whipped down 80 feet landing swiftly. "Hey!" 3 boys about my age turned to look at me. I helped the boy on the ground who was maybe 12 or 13 at best. 

"Go home," I told him. He nodded and ran off.

One of the older guys moved to chase after him.

"I wouldnt do that, pal" Cole advised him blocking his path.

The boy looked up at him, affronted. "Who the hell are you?!" He demanded.

"If you had the slightest inkling who or what I was, you'd pee in your pants," Cole smiled.

"Looks like we've got another faggot"  said the second boy, meancingly. He swung.

Before Cole could do anything, I concentrated deeply on the boy and made his fist do the opposite of what he intended. The boy wound up punching himself in the face. He groaned and fell down.

One of the boys wimpered and ran off. "Wise choice," Cole called after him.

Then one of the boys literally lunged at Cole. That was the dumbest thing he could have ever done. Cole grabbed him by his neck and held him there. "Bad move, mortal," whispered Cole. He threw the boy down on the ground. The boy nearly fell over himself as he tore away from us.

"Um ok," I said. "That was...epic. You can fight."

"Yeah, mortals," Cole said.

"Im sure they arent the only ones. Humans cant fight back as easily; demons will put up more of a fight but you can take them down. Its in you, Cole. Dont underestimate yourself."

The boy who I'd made knock himself out stood up. He spit on the ground and glowered at me. "You're gonna pay for that, bitch!" He pulled a pocketknife from his jacket and held it up.

Cole moved to grab him but this guy was quick. Dodging Cole, the guy plunged the knife in his arm. Cole howled in pain and fell down clutching his wound.

"NOOOO!" I cried out. "COLE!" I turned to the boy in fury. My hands had fire radiating from them already.

He looked at my hands. "What the-?!" He turned to sprint off but I wasnt having that. Forget about supernatural powers. I ran, easily catching up with him.

Grabbing his shoulder, I spun him around. I ripped the knife from his hand and threw it about 90 ft away, then rewarded him with a blow to the cheek.

"Dont be a bully!" I shouted. Another blow. "Dont refer to women as bitches!!" A kick to the groin. "And dont-fucking-stab-people!" I shoved him to the ground angrily. "Now go home and I dont want to find out about you bothering anyone else. Go! Get out!!"

I went back to Cole who'd managed to pull the knife out his skin. I touched the torn flesh removing the pain. "Are you ok?"

He nodded. "Yeah. Im a demon so it didnt hurt as much as it would for someone else. Demons arent immune to pain but we're very tolerant of it."

"Cole,  I couldnt stand if anything happened to you," I said, my eyes watering up.

He pulled me close to him. "Shhhh...I'll be fine. Dont worry. Nothing is gonna hurt me or you. I swear. I'll always be here."

"Cole, I-I..." I was about to say those three words but I didnt know how.

"Its okay, Bella. I know... and just for the record, I love you too."