Chapter Two | The City That Never Slept

This book is based and inspired by the Originals, with a tinge of the Vampire Diaries. I suggest that you watch the shows to understand some occurrences.

All rights go to The Originals television show on the CW, and Lisa Jane Smith (the author), except the characters and events that are purely of my imagination. PLEASE DO NOT COPY, OR ELSE YOU'LL BE REPORTED.

I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT IF ANYONE IS COPYING SECTIONS FROM THIS BOOK THAT ARE OF MY INVENTION, PLEASE TAKE ACTION.

(EDITED/COMPLETELY REWRITTEN)

________ ♛♛♛ ________ ♛♛♛ ________ ♛♛♛

The song of the chapter is: Glow by Ella Henderson

Like a chest of hidden gold,

Shimmers in the depths below,

We are, we are, the treasures that,

They hide.

Like the sun that saves the night,

Bursting through a darkened sky,

We are, we are, soldiers of the light.

________ ♛♛♛ ________ ♛♛♛ ________ ♛♛♛

         CHAPTER TWO THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEPT

     MY HEART THUDS PAINFULLY in the cavity of my chest as I fling open the door to my apartment. Filled to the brim with vitality and vigour after my latest killing and drinking, I zoom around my bedroom, barely visible to the human eye. Haphazardly, without really even looking at the clothes and toiletries that I threw in my luggage bag, I just pick out what came nearest to my sight. Who knew how long I would need to stay in New Orleans to find her. Hayley did not tell me where exactly she was, so I would have to carry out an extensive search that would probably last a few days. I cannot carry out a laborious task under dirty or uncomfortable conditions, and to find her, I needed to be in my best mental state.

     Once again, the question pounds in my brain: why was Hayley in New Orleans? Most importantly, why did she not tell me as soon as she left the border of Mystic Falls? She knew how worried I tend to get when she did not contact me regularly! Frustration hits me suddenly, and I shut my eyes, gripping a cloth to relieve stress. Maybe if I had been a better friend and called her regularly . . .

     No, I cannot afford to blame myself now. I need to be on task.

     I zip my bag by dragging the leather tag all the way around the four sides. I hook my hand through its handle and hoist it up, taking one long look at my home, sighing. "See you soon," I whisper into the empty house, scanning the place I called home for the past four years. 

     Then, I speed away to my Porsche before I can get the chance to be too sentimental. I believe that my biggest flaw was getting too attached to people or things that I held dear. And this flaw is the worst a vampire can have. Trying to remain positive, I shake my head as I jam my key into the ignition, sending my Porsche purring to life. I have survived this long, I can survive another millennia.