Chapter 42>>>

Intimacy is not purely physical. It's the act of connecting with someone so deeply, you feel like you can see into their soul.

Theo's POV

Monday comes around again, and getting up today I feel different. As I stand in the bedroom putting on my red tie, I feel new. I feel fully complete. Maybe it's because Shailene and I have finally been intimate or maybe it's more of the feeling that I won't lose her.

"Let's ride together today." Shai says, walking into the room. Dressed in a pale blue sundress and denim jacket over it. Her hair curled and pulled up.

"Really?" I ask, unsure if that's really what she wants; or thinks she should have to do.

"Yes really. I love you, and I'm not going to hide or be embarrassed about anything." She tells me, pecking my lips and walking out. Leaving my head spinning with questions, feelings and just... unsureness.

I walk out to see her standing by the door with her bag and on her phone waiting for me.

"You really sure bout this?" I ask, grabbing my keys and brown leather bag with my papers and folders.

She looks up at me, with that certain look. "Yes Theo."

We ride the elevator down together, our hands holding each other's and smiles taking over our faces.

It feels nice to sit beside her in the car today, our hands not breaking from one another's. We've rode together once before, but this really feels different. Better.

We can sit in silence, it's never uncomfortable or awkward

We can sit in silence, it's never uncomfortable or awkward. We can sit for hours- anywhere- as long as we're together.

Pulling into a spot we grab our things and walk out, there are a few people who look but nothing like it could be. Shai kisses my cheek before skipping down the hall to her locker. I smile to myself at how light hearted she is.

I'm almost to the classroom, when someone stops me. Him... again.

I laugh internally at how despite and pathetic this kid is, but keep my outer emotion stern and cold.

"What?" I ask, having to bring myself to make eye contact-- which definitely wasn't easy.

"I want to talk to you after school." He asks, and I actually laugh out loud.

"Again? I thought you said everything you had, or did you come up with more??" I tease, and watch his face tense.

"Just meet me in the back parking lot after school." He says walking away, and I make my way to my classroom. This boy will not rest and it's beginning to get on my nerves.

"Alright, get out your essays from yesterday please." I request as class begins.

>>>>

The last bell of the day rings and I sigh knowing now instead of going straight home with my girlfriend, that I have to deal with her pathetic ex.

"Hey, you ready to go?" Shai asks walking into the room.

"I actually have to stay late for awhile, I have a meeting and some paperwork I need to finish up. So I can give you the keys if you want or--"

"It's fine, I think Charlotte can give me a ride." Shailene says, walking over behind the desk where I sit.

"I'll see you later, I love you." She kisses my lips lightly, before walking out.

I rub my face, hating the fact that I just lied to her. I leave my things in the room as I make my way down the quiet hallways and out the back.

And there leaning against the metal bars, is Damian.

"Let's get this over with." I say walking up to him, sighing as I'm not looking forward to hearing the words about to come from his mouth.

Instead of feeling the punch of his words, I feel the punch of his fist against my skin. I stumble back a little, looking at him in surprise. He didn't really want to talk, he wanted to handle this like men do... with our fists.

I tilt my head from side to side, hearing the faint crack in each movement. Shaking my head I go towards him again and this time take a swing. Hitting his nose, so hard you could hear a small snap of the cartilage.

"Look. Us fighting here, trying to kill each other," I say trying to catch my breath. "Isn't going to change anything. About Shailene, this situation none of it." I tell him, and watch his face go from angry to beyond pissed.

"Stop trying to be some stand up guy, or someone better than me

"Stop trying to be some stand up guy, or someone better than me." Damian snaps.

I shake my head, running a hand through my hair. "You did that all on your own, you make yourself look bad. It's not me."

"You're going to hurt her." He snarls, his hands clenching hard into fists. His knuckles turning white due to the pressure.

"Like you?"

"Worse."

"That's highly unlikely. Unlike you, I wouldn't become so insecure and pathetic that I'd actually hit a girl." I spit, which only ignites his fire even more.

"It was nothing about insecurities." Damian tells me and for some reason that makes my blood boil more than the fact that he won't just admit that he's an abusive son of a bitch.

I step forward, grinding my teeth out of the anger rumbling inside me. "So you just beat her up for the hell of it?" I demand, my voice low.

I don't even wait for a response before throwing another punch, this one hitting his jaw. Most likely to leave a large purple and black bruise.

I don't even know how many more I throw, at his face. His stomach, and his head. Soon he's on the floor, blood coming from his nose and mouth. My fists hitting his face back and forth, left to right.

That is till two men drag me off the boy. I turn around to be met with men in uniforms, more specifically police officer uniforms.

Taking a deep breath, I release it as they twist the silver cuffs around my wrists. Pinching my skin, as we walk to their squad car.

From the back of a police car, to inside a jail. Where they take my finger prints, my mugshot, and handcuff me to a cell... my day has taken a drastic twist.

"James. You can have your one phone call now." One of the guards call and lead me over to an old rusty phone. Dialing the number I know by heart, I await an answer.

"Hello?" The voice on the other line answers, shutting my eyes I respond.

"Shailene baby," I take a deep breath. "I need you to come pick me up."

A/N: Hey all! Finally updated, how was this? Not too happy with it, but I've been having trouble with writers block here and there.