4 | Rylie

Rylie

Damn you, skirt.

I let out a huff as I reach down and attempt to yank the skirt down. As if ignoring my useless attempts, it remains where it is - two inches above my knees and itching as if it were an army of ticks. I thought school girls were supposed to wear these uniforms, not strippers. Clearly the school board here was run by crazy perverted men. But that wasn't my worry.

Straightening, I look at myself in the mirror. I look decent. Normal. Normal enough to pass as a normal school girl from a normal school during a normal day out with her normal friends. This wouldn't be hard at all. Easy peasy. Lemon squeazy. I got this.

Even my internal motivational pep talk wasn't enough to calm my frayed nerves. I squeeze my hands in and out of fists, trying to take deep breaths. I'd done crazy things before. Why on Earth would I be nervous for something like this? I would just be going to school and hanging out with my friends afterwards. Oh, and discover the location of my good friend Robin from her ex-boyfriend who just happens to be a cop. You could say that's the hard part. Either that or eating school lunch.

"Just be yourself!" I say out loud, then laugh at how shaky my voice is. I'm tough girl Rylie. Nothing is supposed to bother me. If anything does, one movement of my fists and everything is all right again. This would be no biggie.

I quickly glance at the clock. It's 7:15 AM. I have to be at my classes before 7:40. Luckily, the school is just a quick bus ride away. But I should probably leave now to be a few minutes early.

As I head to the door, I can't help but stop and notice a black bag lounging half open in front of my closet. I kneel down and realize it's the same bag I carried into East Delavan High not too long ago... The bag that held the gun that killed the father of my good friend Robin. I gulp, a wave of nausea coming over me. It wasn't my choice to go in and shoot him, but it's not like I had a choice. Everyone else was in jail. Thanks to my good friend Robin's ex-boyfriend who just happens to be a cop. After today, though, it would be different. I would get Robin out of there. Maybe things would be normal like they used to.

This seems to be enough to get me motivated. I kick the bag into the closet, trying to ignore the blood stains. I fix my hair in front of the mirror and dial a number on my phone before heading out into the hallway. The phone rings but finally, an answer.

"Hello?"

"It's me," I say casually. "I'm about to head out."

"Good. You know what you have to do?"

"Yes."

"Good. Good luck. I'll send someone to pick you up later tonight."

"Sounds good."

"Oh, and Rylie?"

"Yeah?"

"I can tell you're nervous. That's good. But don't be too nervous. You don't want to mess things up."

"Of course."

"Just remember, this is all for Robin. Everything was and always will be for her."

A roar of protest cries out from my mind but I silence it. "Of course."

"Good. We'll be in contact."

The line dies.

That's what they told me, growing up. Everything was for Robin. Always watch out for Robin. Always protect Robin. Risk your life for Robin. Lay down your life for Robin. It was always for her, never for me or anyone else. As a child I guess I was brainwashed to serve them, but now that I'm older, I'm feeling quite sick of it. I drew the line when they wanted me to shoot her dad, but now they want me to get Robin out of jail. I guess that shouldn't be too bad... right?

If today goes smoothly, then things will be normal again. I hope.

I finally reach the first floor and casually walk through the lobby. This isn't really my apartment, so I hope no one notices that I don't belong here. No worries. I should be out by tomorrow.

The city is loud and bustling with excitement and traffic. People going about their daily business without a care in the world. I do my best to blend in, and for a moment, I'm just a normal school girl going to school. Then I'll go home and do homework and eat dinner with my parents. Afterwards I'll call my best friend and tell her about how I brushed my crush's shoulder in the hallway. We'll squeal and giggle together into the night.

Unfortunately, that isn't the case. This is my life. I'm only here to serve and protect Robin Wayne. Always have and always will.