19 | Kurt

"They did what?"

"Dude, quit interrupting me!"

"But I don't get it. Why would they -"

"I'll get to that later."

"Fine." My passenger, Thomas, lets out a huff and crosses his arms.

In the amount of time we've been parked at this destination, I've pretty much told Thomas everything about Robin Wayne. Everything that you need to know. I could have just read the entire Wikipedia page entitled Robin Wayne, but it seemed better coming from my perspective. I told him about how she grew up with friends her parents didn't agree with, how there were arguments and fights over who she wanted to be with, and eventually resorted in her father leading her to more... Persuasive means to make sure she wouldn't go down a darker path.

"So after they did that," I continue. "She pretty much forgot most everything that had happened to her."

"What about you? Damien and Maurice and everyone else?" Thomas interrupts once more.

"No way, I was just about to get to that!"

"Sorry." He sure doesn't look sorry.

"Damien was the one who called us together. After she left, we pretty much fell apart. She may not have known it, but she was the one who held us all together." Ugh, it was so cheesy. Why did I even know this stuff? Why was I even telling him this?

"And?"

"He said we had to get her back. We all believed that it was cruel, what she had to go through to forget everything." Except for me, of course. "So we staged a lockdown."

"A lockdown? Was that the one where -"

"Yes, that's the one you're thinking about. We got some guns, we went to her school, and we grabbed her. Of course Damien said that we should fake some deaths along the way - me, for example. Me and Robin were very close. Very close." A little too close for my liking. "He thought that if me or Rylie Clover was killed in front of her, it would trigger a memory or something."

"So how does Rylie play a part in all of this?"

I knew about Rylie Clover. Damien had talked about her, growing up. But I didn't know how close she was to all of this. I figured she was one of Robin's friends, nothing more. Apparently Damien hid more from me than I would've liked.

"Not much," I lie. "She just watched out for Robin, since, you know, her vision wasn't that great."

"And you? So you just shot people and saved Robin?"

"It's not like that," I say, getting a bit pissed. "Growing up, my father was a cop. An undercover cop, so not like the guys who give you tickets and DUIs and all that. He wasn't particularly fond of Robin's dad, so he told me to watch out for Robin. He said I could hang out with her, but tell him if anything fishy happened. Apparently I did such a good job of telling him about her life that as soon as the department let him, I was let into the police force."

"So you're a cop?"

"Yup," I reply proudly. "Undercover. I spied on Robin Wayne and turned her in when things felt right. And seeing how there haven't been any more crazy lockdowns recently, I guess I did a good job."

"Well, there was that story not too long ago about Robin's father..."

Of course he heard that story. Everyone heard that story. Everyone knew what Rylie Clover did.

"That was Rylie Clover," I inform him. "And while it is tragic that Mr. Wayne died, it wasn't anything special. All she did was shoot him during his speech. Big deal."