What's Going On?

Chapter 39

Peter grew more and more worried each second as he realized that he wasn't going to get an answer. He had been calling and calling and calling Kim, but she never answered. Then he became even more worried after he realized that he didn't even recognize the number she called from. That was when he knew she was in big trouble.

Just as Peter decided to pace around and around the living room, Ed came in with the biggest grin ever. All he had in his mind was Aprel, and when he had gotten home, he couldn't wait to see her.

"Hey, bud." He happily smiled, but then confusion filled his brain after he had seen Peter. "What's troubling you?"

"Sh- she's in trouble. I don't know what's wrong- she didn't tell me. She won't answer me!" Peter cried, and Ed had immediately ran into his room, thinking this was about Aprel.

Peter rolled his eyes, slowly chasing after Ed.

"Aprel?" Ed shouts bursting into the room, accidentally waking her up.

"E- Ed?" She asked in confusion. "Am I dreaming?"

"No, no, I'm here. Really. Is everything alright? Do you want to talk?" Ed asks, now whispering, and gently running his fingers through her hair.

"No. Not really.. but I would like to go back to sleep." She smiles weakly as Ed sympathetically looks down at her.

That was when Peter came in. "Ed, this isn't about Aprel. I wasn't even talking about her. She's fine- or was when she was sleeping."

"Huh? But you said- "

"I was talking about someone else."

"Could you two please take your conversation somewhere else. Not trying to sound rude, but my head is throbbing and I'm trying to sleep." Aprel groans. Peter nods understandingly and then walks out of the room and through the hallway.

"Sorry, love." Ed whispers, before lightly kissing Aprel's cheek, then standing and leaving.

As soon as Ed's eyes meet Peter's, he stood in front of him, waiting for answers.

"What? " Peter asked, already forgetting about everything.

"I had thought you were talking about Aprel, but I guess you weren't." Ed shrugged.

Then Peter remembered. "Oh! No, I wasn't talking about Aprel."

Ed rolled his eyes. I think I know that now. He thought.

"I was talking about Kim."

As soon as those five words left Peter' mouth, Ed felt everything stop. He felt as if he were about to fall or trip or something, so he took a seat next to Peter.

"Kim??" He finally asks.

"Yeah. Buddy, you okay?" Peter stared at Ed in confusion.

"Yeah. Yeah. It's just- we- it's been a while since we've heard from her.. " Ed whispers slowly.

Before Ed, and even Peter, met Aprel, Kim was their best friend. She was like a sister to them.

Peter nods understandingly. "Yeah, I know right! I was really excited to hear from her, but .. something's wrong."

"What is it?"

"I don't know. She called from a different number.. but that's not it. I think she's in some sort of trouble."

"What are you talking about? I don't understand."

"We were talking, or we were about to. It's just that she mentioned that she was with Kevin, so I just had to- "