New Days

Chapter 48

THREE WEEKS LATER

"Uh, Ed?" I hear a quiet knock on my door and see Peter standing in the doorway, with a worried expression.

"What's up?" I whispered, nodding to him and lightly squeezing Aprel's hand while she slept peacefully in my bed.

He stutters. "Well, c- can we talk in- in my room?"

I sigh and stand up off my bed, gently kiss Aprel's forehead, let go of her hand, and follow Pete in his room. He quickly shuts the door behind me as if he was scared of something and I started to feel very suspicious.

"You alright, bud?" I ask him, and he shakes his head.

"Ed, there's something I have to tell you." He played with his hands and I couldn't help but wonder what the actual heck was wrong with him. I mean, like, whatever he had to tell me, couldn't be that bad?

"Then say it, mate. I'm all ears." I tell him, not feeling too suspicious anymore. I'm more concerned about what he was about to say, but at the same time, I wanted to be understanding.

The things that he complained about these past few days may not have been that 'important', but that doesn't mean that everything that'll come out of his mouth won't be important. Since he has been acting a bit strange lately, I want to be a better brother to him, than I have been before.

When I say 'acting a bit strange', I mean, like, he's been stressing a lot. He worries and has these tantrums and I had no choice but to go to Michelle. I was asking for her advice, since she's been around Peter for the past few weeks, and she explained that he has been having awful nightmares, and that was causing him to be paranoid.

Michelle's exact words were, "Now I'm not a professional, but Peter does have a disorder. I've been on it, trying to figure out what he has, but it's difficult because he had a hard time answering the questions I had for him. He certainly gets nervous very easily and he's bipolar. I'm definitely going to talk to a pro about this because I understand how stressful this is for you guys and for even for him. Imagine all the things that are going through his mind. I'm one-hundred percent sure that they aren't all positive.".

Ever since that day, I've been feeling a bit stuck. I feel like I'm in the middle because Aprel is finally out of the hospital, but she's still in pretty bad shape, so she's been resting and I've been feeding her and singing to her, but I also spend time with Peter, who's also not that okay. It's a little overwhelming, but that's all I'm going to say about it. Peter and Aprel are family and if I'm the only healthy one around, I'm going to be here for them.

Peter suddenly sighs out of frustration and it brings my thoughts back into now, and I look up at him, wondering what was going on his head. I watched him as he ran his hands through his uncombed hair, then he looked over at me.

He opened his mouth. "Ed? I- It's been on my mind, lately."

I stare blankly at him. "Uh ... what's been, Petey?" 

He almost chokes. "Kim and Kirsten."

My eyes widen. "Oh, my g- I had forgotten about them. So much has happened, I can't believe I forgot! How are they?" I excitedly grinned and waited for Peter to answer, but he just stared at me in horror.

"What is it?" I asked in confusion.

"They're in trouble." His hands were shaking uncontrollably and I didn't know what to do.

"Peter," I sighed. "They aren't in trouble- " I tried to finish, but he rushes towards me and hugs me out of nowhere.

"I saw them! They were in trouble. She's getting abused, Ed!" He cried and my eyes widened.