Chapter One

The sun glared through Brendan's window as he slept, causing him to stir as he felt its warm rays upon his face. He slowly sat up and rubbed his eyes. He looked over to see Treecko curled up by the window, soaking up the warmth.

Today's the day. Dad said mom was going to prepare a good breakfast this morning, thought Brendan as he sniffed the air.

And it appears as though she has! I smell waffles! Oh please be chocolate...

Brendan raced out of his room and into the bathroom to shower and get ready for the day. After about twenty minutes, he was out and dressed. His signature hat snug on his head, he slipped into his room and looked to see if Treecko was awake, only to find him right at his feet, looking up.

"Morning Treecko. Sleep well?"

"Treecko, Treeck!"

"I hear ya buddy. Mom's cooking and I'm hungry. Maybe she made some of that special Pokémon food you like?" Brendan pondered.

At this, Treecko's mouth watered. He nodded happily and hopped onto Brendan's shoulder. Filled with excitement, Brendan sat on the railing and slid down to the first floor just as his mother was poking her head around to call to him.

"Brendan Birch, how many times do I need to tell you not to do that?" She scolded.

"Sorry mom," Brendan laughed nervously.

"That's fine dear, I'll let it slide today since you're going on your journey. Just be careful okay? I won't be around to patch you up if you get hurt," she replied with concern in her voice.

Brendan nodded and walked into the dining room where his dad was already drinking his morning cup of coffee.

"Morning son, sleep well?" He asked.

"Sorta. I had to force myself to go to sleep due to the excitement of it all. This is gonna be a blast!" Brendan grinned, sitting down and letting Treecko onto the floor.

Brendan's mother placed a bowl in front of Treecko. The reptilian Pokémon began salivating as he sniffed the food. Plates filled with pancakes and waffles were set on the table. Oran Berry Jam and maple syrup were set as well. Eggs were scraped off a skillet onto the plates. Following that were tall glasses of Nomel Berry juice.

"Dig in you three," said Brendan's mother with a bright smile.
_______________________________________

Petalburg Gym, headed by Norman Maple, was getting quite a few challengers as of late. A few managed to obtain victory while others were sent out in defeat. Norman sat in the gym with his daughter, May, discussing her journey.

"I see. So, he was pretty good you say?" Norman started, stroking his chin in thought.

"Yeah. He was able to think quickly on his feet and he hasn't even been a trainer that long either," May expressed.

"Sounds like ol' Birch has a talanted son. Don't feel bad about losing May. You are just starting out, and you have me to come to for any battle tips. Just ask your old man and you'll be just fine," Norman assured her.

"I guess..." May sighed.

"Look May, if your old man got sore after every loss, he wouldn't be able to have fun. It's not so much winning that counts. It's having fun no matter what happens. Even those who lose here get a badge if I see that they understand the most important things."

May considered this. Her father did lose sometimes. And now he was telling her that it was okay to lose. A smile spread across her features as she thought of this.