Chapter Five

Brendan glanced down at the Stone Badge and smiled softly. Throughout his time at that school, he was taught by several individuals since he was a toddler. One might say that he grew up with Roxanne's family teaching him. She was his teacher for eight of the twelve years he had been there. He remembered all of her classes very well.

"So Brendan, just how long was Roxanne your teacher?" May asked as she and Brendan exited the gym.

"Eight years exactly. She started being my teacher when I got out of elementary school. As you saw, she knows a great deal what she's doing," Brendan chuckled.

"She sure does. Those were some tough Pokémon," May sighed.

"If you think that was rough, you should see her stronger Pokémon. She uses those for tougher opponents," Brendan informed her.

"Right! My dad does the same thing. He said it had something to do with the amount of badges the challenger has. Now that I think of it, we got the easier challenge," May laughed nervously.

"Yep. She has fully evolved forms of a vast amount of Rock-types. And as you witnessed, she has a way to counter their weaknesses," Brendan replied.

"And Explosion," May grumbled.

"Oh yeah, she loves doing that. She gets her kicks from it if the fight's good enough."

"Is that why she blew my Shroomish to kingdom come?" May asked with a raised brow.

"Probably. Either that, or she had no other option. Sometimes, if she knows the opposition will win either way, she does it for the hell of it. If she's gonna lose, she goes out in style," Brendan laughed.

"Well, she scared me half to death. I thought the place would fall apart," May muttered.

"She always did tell us to get creative when we are about to lose. She always told me to have fun with it," Brendan replied, scratching his chin as he spoke.

"Stop! Thief!"

Brendan and May both turned to see someone racing out of the Devon Corporation building being pursued by a researcher. The man being chased threw off his guise and revealed himself to be a member of Team Aqua. Brendan also recognized the researcher as the one from the woods.

"Come on May, we have to help him!" Brendan stated, taking off.

"Wait for me!" May called out.
_______________________________________

Somewhere down Route 116, Miles was hiding. He had seen the Team Aqua Grunt slip into the Devon Corporation building. He thought of doing the same, but then revised his plan to something less risky. Quick footsteps caught his attention, causing him to press his back against the thick tree he was behind. As the hurried steps rushed by, he turned to see the Grunt racing off down the path.

Now, where do you think you're going? Miles thought, having knowledge of something the Grunt didn't.

Another set of footfalls caused him to conceal himself more. He looked and beheld Brendan and May, whom he didn't recognize, chasing after the Grunt.

Oh this ought to be good. That louse has no idea the trouble he's in now that he's tailed by that guy. The girl doesn't look like a pushover either, Miles thought as he slowly followed the duo.
_______________________________________

Brendan and May chased until they reached the clearing where the Rusturf Tunnel began. Outside of the tunnel was an elderly man who was just getting up from the ground.

"Owww, my back!" The old man groaned.

"Are you okay?" May asked, rushing over to assist him.

"Yes, but...my Wingull, Peeko...he's been kidnapped by some weirdo in a mask," he grumbled.