Chapter Thirty-Two

Evening was upon Mauville City. Its inhabitants were going about their nightly rituals, prepping for bed and making late calls to friends for whatever reason they deemed necessary. The Crooner's Café was open late into the night, and many were gathering and discussing the tournament results.

The topic was hot at the moment, and for various reasons. Two widely know trainers hashed it out and it resulted in a stalemate. Courtney, who was sitting at the bar with a mocha, was also thinking of how the match went. She idily tapped her fingers on the table and sipped her drink. She needed a break from the hideout.

"Long day?" A male voice inquired as Courtney began to sip her drink. It was Mike.

She gave him a quizzical look. She glanced at his name tag and then back at him. She nodded, not exactly thrilled about social interaction at the moment, but she'd humor him.

"You have no idea..." Courtney sighed.

"I know the feeling," he added, his ears twitching at the sound of the door opening.

Through the door walked Brendan. He seemed to be in high spirits. But even with the half smile on his face, there was a hint of exhaustion in his eyes. Mike could tell he had just as rough a day. First a tough opponent, and then Wattson's request.

"But I think I know what might cheer you up," Mike hinted, his eyes shifting towards Brendan.

Courtney followed his gaze and her eyes locked onto Brendan. A sleepy smile crossed her tired features. Perhaps seeing him would lighten her mood.
_______________________________________

Brendan closed the door to the Crooner's Café. Head on a swivel, he searched for a seat. As his eyes swept the room, they met with a familiar pair of lilac eyes. Drawn in, Brendan wandered her way and sat down.

"You look tired," Courtney greeted.

Brendan yawned, further validating her claim. "Yeah, I am. May wanted to go shopping..."

Courtney sniggered. "Well, we women do love our clothes. It's no secret."

"My mom can vouch for that. She's got a closet full of nothing to wear," Brendan replied casually.

Courtney held in a giggle. She rolled her eyes and sipped her drink. "You say that as if you understand the meaning."

It was Brendan's turn to laugh this time. "Let's put it this way. When you all say you have 'nothing to wear,' it means that you have nothing new to wear. You're literally bored of what you have. When we men say the same thing, it means we haven't done laundry yet..."

Impressed, Courtney clapped her hands lightly. "Someone's done their research. It appears that there are men in this world who know a little about what's going on in our minds."

Brendan shrugged and slung his backpack off his shoulders, setting it on the table before him. He unzipped it and pulled out the incubater.

"So I found out what this was," Brendan stated, admiring the egg.

"Oh? And what is it?" Courtney questioned, her eyes fixated on the peculiar egg.

"A Feebas egg. I'm a little nervous about it though. It will take a lot of time to evolve it. I don't even know what moves this will know," Brendan sighed.

Courtney placed a hand on his shoulder and smiled. "I'm sure it will be just fine. Depending on who bred it will determine what it will know."

"Not that it matters though. I will just be happy to add a new friend to the team," Brendan replied with a chuckle.