Chapter Four: The Everlasting One, Part 1

*Alex's POV
For a witch to rescue another witch from her Subspace or Hell she must be the strongest Supreme of them all, only prophesied in the Scrolls of Salem;

   She will possess all powers,
Revealing herself while the reigning Supreme is still strong,
She will bring back things we've lost in the fire,
Find things we have lost in the darkness,
Teach us things we have forgotten in the forgettable past,
She is the light,
Follow her,
She is the protector,
Trust in her,
She is the pillar,
Hoist her up,
She will come unknowing, unbelieving, and immature,
She
Is the
Everlasting One.

   I sigh and slam the book shut, setting it down on the table. How the hell am I supposed to find this "Everlasting One"? What if she hasn't even been born yet? Goddamnit.
   What am I gonna do?
   I pick up another book I'd pulled off the shelf. It's about the Seven Wonders.
   I flip to a random page.
VITALUM VITALIS it read in bold at the top, is the ability to balance the scales between one life and another. It is one of the Seven Wonders. 
Vitalum Vitalis is used the balance the scales of life and death. This can be used by either draining one's own life force to restore a dying person's health, or even resurrect a dead person. Unlike resurgence, vitalum vitalis uses the witch's own life force to bring the dead back to life, which may cause the user to pass out.
   I flip to the next page.
RESURGENCE it read at the top, also known as Resurrection, is the ability to revive the dead. Considered more powerful than any of the Seven Wonders, it's a power that is inaccessible even to some Supremes. 
Resurgence is a rare power and tricky to learn. Unlike Vitalum Vitalis, it does not use the witch's own life force to bring the dead back to life, though the resurgent may pass out after performing it. Some resurgents can even, in a way, sense death and corpses.
   It is true that voodoo queens have, in the past, been able to raise the dead, but the distinction of Necromancy and Resurgence must be noted.
NECROMANCY, is one of the seven Voodoo powers. While Resurgence is bringing the dead back to life with their mind and memories still intact, Necromancy does not bring the dead back to life. It simply reanimates the corpse and turns them into puppets for the caster. These zombie-like, reanimated flesh are also referred to as 'Risen Dead'.
   "What the hell?" I ask myself, slamming that book shut. None of it makes any sense! What the hell am I doing? Why am I doing this for someone I barely even know?
   'Because you're just like her.' A soft, rather prestigious voice in the back of my mind says.
   "What?" I ask it.
   'Because you're just like her.' It repeats, in that same tone. 'She lost everything. As did you. The only distinction worth mentioning is that you never knew what you had, therefore making it far less painful than poor Delia.'
   "Who are you?" I whisper, fingers tangled in my hair. I must be losing it. I'm talking to my mind, for God's sake!
   'Don't be a hater, dear.' The voice says. 'You're not crazy. And you're not giving up now. I will help you fulfill your destiny, but first you must help me.'
   "Okay." I mutter. The librarian at the front desk is starting to stare, so I go to checkout my books.
   I find myself in a gravelly area standing in front of a wooden stake.
   'You have arrived.' The voice in my head says. It's clearer now, closer. 'Thank Balenciaga, I thought you'd never get back on your way after taking a wrong turn by that quaint little café on-'
   "Okay, okay." I snap at the voice. "What am I doing here?"
   'Do you see the patch of earth that looks like a recently dug grave?' She asks.
   "Yes." I say.
   'My body is beneath that.'
   "W-what?"
   'You heard me, child, now do exactly as I say...'
   I followed the voice's instructions. Soon I had uncovered the crispy body and was dragging it out of the hole.
   'Be careful, child!' The voice scolded. 'I had to worry about burn marks and now all the bruises I'll have because of your incompetence. Now, take me to the swamp.' The voice spat.
   I followed the voice's directions all the way to a small shack in the middle of the woods.
   'Bring me back.' The voice says.
   "What?!"
   'Bring me back.' It repeats. 'To be quite frank, I've been watching you Alex. And do you know what I've discovered your problem is?'
   "What's my problem?" I sigh.
   'I will tell you. And don't find offense in my words or take them as a demand, but as advice- whether you want to follow it or not.'
   "Okay..."
   'Put me in the dirt.'
   I look to find a three or four feet deep hole in the soft earth by my foot.
   I slowly ease the burnt corpse into the hole, making sure not not to hit her on anything again. "How was that?"
   'Very good, darling.' The voice says.
   "Now will you tell me your name?"
   'All in good time, my dear. But Alex,'
   "Yeah?"
   'You mustn't tell poor Cordelia. I want my homecoming to be a surprise.'
   "Okay. Sure. Whatever. Why do you want me to put you in the dirt?"
   'Louisiana mud works wonders on burned skin. Our very own Misty Day taught me that. This is where she took me after she brought me back.'
   "So... you died twice?"
   'Yes, dear.' She says. 'One burning was for an entirely faux reason.'
   We're quiet for a moment. Then I hear her again. 'Will you attempt to bring me back now?'
   "Um, lady, I hate to break it to ya, but I'm not the Supreme, and I'm not Misty Day. I can't do Vitalum Vitalis and I can't do Resurgence."
   'See dear, this is why you can't have power beyond blooming plants and fright-induced psychokinesis. You have the Sight. I will give you that. But what you lack... isn't about power or surpassing all others.'
   "Well, what's it about then?"
   'What it's all about, the big picture, so to speak, dangles between the purpose of life and true, hard-earned success.'
   "What is it?"
   'This may sound Gouda, but bear with me. The key to success is to believe in oneself. Our dear Cordelia would've never became Supreme had she not fully understood her capability and the power she could have. Bring me back. I am certain you can do it. I'd stake your life on it.'
   "I wouldn't." I say.
   'I would!' The voice shouts back. 'I have an aching in my heart that you can do anything you dream up! I don't know why, but I have a feeling you are the next Supreme!'
   "The next what?!" I exclaim. "Supreme?! No, no, no, I'm not that strong! I don't have significant power!"
   The voice doesn't reply. I peer down at the burnt corpse. How this could be a person, even in the past, is beyond me. I find myself touching its arm tentatively. I've never been so close to death, beside Cordelia's visions. I've never even dissected a dead frog before. Every time I touched them they hopped away.
   Oh my God.
   I kneel before the corpse and put my hands on its blackened head.
   It's eyes snap open.