Chapter Fourteen: The Past is Best Left Buried

A/N: Thank you for 232 reads!

Sixteen Years Before
*Narrator's POV
   "How could you?!" The woman screams at her fiancée, holding a hand to her stomach, which had been cramping as of late. "You know what? We're done!"
   The man stares at her in bewilderment, his eyes wide. "But... I love you!"
   "You lied about your father, why wouldn't you lie about loving me?!" She takes off her ring and tosses it to the floor, making the man wince.
   "I'm not expecting you to believe me-" he starts, but is interrupted by a slap in the face. "But, I need you to listen." He continues, only rubbing his stubbly cheek before opening his mouth.
   "Why should I believe you?" The woman spits, crossing her arms.
   "Because, Lola, you're in danger. My dad found out about us and he's sending a few men over here tonight. Listen, I've prepared a place in the Louisiana Swamps for you and Misty where I swear they'll never find you."
   "Okay, Hank."

One Year After That
   "Dammit!" The graying man with the beard exclaims, slamming his hand down on the desk, making the black man before him jump at the sudden outburst.
   "I'm sorry, boss. We're doing everything we can-"
   "No, you aren't!" The bearded man shouts. "If you haven't found them, then you aren't doing everything you can!"
   "But boss-"
   "No buts!" He roars. "It's been a year! I need to find that witch bitch! Hank did this." He stands, beginning to pace. "I knew he was weak from the first hunting trip- I should've activated him- this wouldn't have happened if I had-"
   "Sir!" A skinny young man bursts into the luxurious office, holding a clipboard to his chest.
   "How many times have I told you to knock, Michael?!" The bearded man exclaims, slamming his hand down on the desk.
   The young man pushes his glasses further up on his nose. "I-I'm sorry, sir. I'll just-" he turns to leave but is stopped by his boss.
   "What is it?" The man asks, pinching the bridge of his nose.
   "Sir. We found them."

   The woman, Lola, sat in a rocking chair, nursing her three-and-a-half month old daughter, who she named Angel.
   Which was ironic, considering the fact that her pacifier was floating two feet above their heads.
   Angel giggled and babbled as her mother pushed her breast towards her tiny mouth, still covered in milk, but the baby was finished.
   "My little Angel." The woman strokes her daughter's head, which already was starting to sprout patches of light brown hair, despite Lola and her daughter's wild blonde curls.
   "Nothing will ever happen to you. I promise." Lola whispers, plucking Angel's pacifier out of the air and sticking it in her mouth.
   It floats into the air again.
   "You're so stubborn." Her mother teases, her fingers moving against her small belly. "You wanna see Misty? Maybe she can get you to take a nap by playing some Stevie."
   "Tevee!" Angel squeals.
   "Oh my God! You said Stevie!"
   "Tevee!" She squeals again.
   "Mist! Angel said Stevie!"
   That's when the hooded men burst through the front door.

   "Ugly little thing you are." The bearded man holds the baby to his pressed chest, tentatively letting her wrap her hand around his index finger. "Well," he says, looking away to avoid her cherub face and  furrowed brows, observing the new man.
   "Da-da?" She asks softly, the tip of his tie floating out of his shirt and into her hands.
   "No." He says softly. "I'm your grandpa."
   "Pa-pa?"
   "Well," he says quickly. "You could be of some use."
   The woman in the clearing screams loudly as the flames engulf her gasoline-soaked nightgown, burning her flesh and making her weep, crying out her baby's name.
   The men picked up her still-smoldering body, swaddling it in a tarp, and threw it in the back of the limo Harrison was holding the baby in.
   The hooded men hop in the car, two in the front seat, two in the back, failing to notice the blonde, curly-haired, ten-year-old girl hiding in the bushes.
   Nor the small, dead bird she had clutched to her chest moments ago.
   Nor it's small, beady eyes snapping open.
   "Yes, you'll do quite nicely.
   "Alex."

Fifteen Years After That
   "Alex!" Her grandfather, Harrison calls her from across the room.
   "Yes, Mr. Renard?" She sniffs.
   "Please." He holds up a hand.
   "Sorry." She wipes her eyes with a white handkerchief and sits in the chair in front of his desk.
   He reaches across to grab her hand. "It's Papa."
   "Okay, Papa." She smiles, trying not to let the tears fall. Her eyes are red and puffy. Have been since she heard about her father, Hank.
   "I need to do something for me..."

A/N: Just in case you're confused, Hank is Alex's father and Misty is Alex's half-sister. Lola was the woman Hank was in love with before he was sent on the Cordelia mission. Cordelia is Alex's stepmother.
I'M SORRY IF THIS IS CONFUSING, IT WILL GET BETTER, I PROMISE!