Chapter Sixteen: Mom

A/N: Thank you for 266 reads! This will be a short chapter, but there's a load of stuff in the next one.

A Few Hours Before Delphi Trust's Meeting With Fiona and Marie
*Narrator's POV
"Since your father failed the mission, Alex, it's your job to get in there and kill those witches." Harrison tells his granddaughter as she sits before him.
"But... Papa-" Alex begins.
"Look, darling, I know it'll be tough. But just remember that Papa loves you and he believes in you."
"Papa loves me and he believes in me." Alex repeats to herself.
"Right. Good girl. And our sources say that Cordelia is considering opening the Academy to the public. That's two birds with one stone." He adds, looking over the folder in his hands. "Here's your profile." He says, handing it to her. She glances at it. "You aren't gonna change my name this time?"
"Why?" He shrugs.
"You realize that Cordelia is my stepmother, right?"
"Ha!" He exclaims, making her jump. "I was more of a parent to you than anyone ever was!"
"Yes, Papa."
"Now... go down to the armory, Jackson has you some guns and we got the priest to bless the bullets..."

Present Day
"There's one of them First Aid kits in the bathroom." Misty whispers as her and Alex sneak through the front door. "I'ma go get it. Just... don't let Cordelia see ya'."
"Why?" She asks.
"Misty? Is that you?" Cordelia calls from the other room.
"Jus' don't." Misty replies, walking towards the staircase. "Yeah, Delia, it's me!"
"Look, Misty, I'm sorry how I left things with us." Cordelia says, gripping her soft, pale arm.
"I understand, Delia." Misty replies, trying not to seem too suspicious. "I jus'... don' feel very well. I'ma go lay down."
"Okay, Misty." Cordelia dismisses her, putting the tip of her cane back on the floor.
Alex peers into the ancestry room where Delia is standing silently, and attempts to creep past her.
Looking back later, she would realize that this was a mistake.
Her foot touched the floorboard- and it creaked.

"Who's there?" Cordelia's head whipped around as Alex freezes, her eyes darting to the staircase to find Misty, but she wasn't there.
"DAMN IT!" She mouths as Cordelia hesitantly approaches her.
"Who are you?" She asks, fumbling for the girl's shoulder.
Alex stands completely still, lips pressed into a tight line as Cordelia's hand brushes over her face- as if it was in Braille and she could read her name on it- to her other shoulder.
"Tell me who you are!" She shouts, tugging on an amber strand of her hair. She winces, but doesn't speak.
Finally, Cordelia sighs as if in surrender. She takes a step back, and for a second, Alex thinks she's going to walk away, when she grabs her long, thin cane with both hands and brings it across her knees with a crack.
"Ouch!" Alex exclaims.
Once Cordelia realizes who it is, the palm of her hand connects with her cheek and her body hits the floor with a thump.
"Dammit, Delia!" Alex groans, thinking of how badly bruised she was going to be tomorrow after people were done slapping her and choking her for one day.
Cordelia grabs the back of her shirt and yanks her off the ground- she may be small but she is strong- and slams her against the wall, her fingers tightening around her neck.
"You're a liar!" She shouts, her scarred eyes threatening to overflow with tears. She lets out a few gut-wrenching sobs. "You're a liar! I can't believe I trusted you! My mother was right! I'll always be blind."
"No!" Alex makes a gurgling noise in her throat. Cordelia's grip is getting too tight for comfort.
"This is all my fault!" She shakes her head. "I never should've opened the school or got the tiniest bit close to you. You're a monster! And a liar! Just like him!"
"Delia- Delia." Alex croaks. She can't cast her off because something... something is still strong in the withering Supreme.
"They should've left you there. I told them to let you die. You don't deserve to live." Cordelia growls as Alex begins to see stars.
Black frames her vision and she murmurs her last words.
Cordelia was going to kill her.
The Cordelia a part of her mind trusted, even though she was the target.
The strong Cordelia.
Maybe for the first time in her life.
The Supreme.
The beautiful woman- a mother's touch Alex had never had... because it was wrenched away from her in early years.
The Cordelia who- all she ever wanted was a child.
Her last words;
"Mom."