Chapter Nine: Bringing Her Back, Part 2

*Cordelia's POV
   Alex and I sit beside Misty in the hospital, the steady beep of the heart rate monitor and the buzz of several machines filling our ears.
   I reach out to touch Misty's hand but it is ice cold. I retract my arm and grab Alex's hand instead. It is warm and welcoming.
   She bites her lip and looks at me. "She'll be okay... right, Delia?"
   "I... don't know." I say. "This is strange. I've never seen anything like it before."
   "Neither have I." A man's voice calls out and the door shuts behind us.
   A brown-haired man in a lab coat makes his way over to Misty and touches her hand. "God, she's ice cold."
   Exactly what I thought. I sigh and rest my eyes somewhere that isn't Misty's pale, sickly-looking face.
   "She's in a coma." The doctor states. "We don't know how, or why."
   "Will she ever wake up?" Alex asks, her thumb rubbing haphazard circles on the back of my hand, despite the pressure I'm applying to hers out of fear.
   "That we don't know either. I'm sorry, ladies. We-"
   "Well, are you a doctor or a damn fairy?" Alex snaps at him.
   "Ma'am, please try and stay calm-"
   "Alex," I whisper as she starts to get out of her chair. She looks at me. I give her a soft shake of my head. She settles back into the chair, squeezing my hand harder.
   A lightbulb fizzled and popped, showering the doctor with glass.
   His eyes widened as he stuttered, "You know... I'll just-" Alex smirks and stomps her foot on the cold floor, making him run out of the room.
   "Alex," I try to sound stern, but my voice comes out as whiny.
   "Delia," she mimics my tone.
   "That wasn't nice." I chastise, shaking a finger in her face.
   "I'm sorry, mommy." She says in the most childlike voice possible.
   "Don't start that shit with me." I roll my eyes and she rolls hers back. "Hey," I snap my fingers. "Don't roll your eyes at me, missy.
   "Yes, mom." She says, almost inaudibly, then turns away.
   Silence, besides the constant beeping and buzzing of Misty's machines, envelops us.
   "Can't you do Vitalum Vitalis?" She asks me after a long time.
   "Remember when I was holding her and whispering in the shack? Vitalum Vitalis."
   "Yeah?"
   "It didn't work."
   Silence envelops us again. Her brows knit together as if she's thinking about something.
   "Penny for your thoughts?" I ask sarcastically.
   "Don't hate me, but... aren't you the Supreme?"
   "Look, kid, Queenie brought Misty back using Vitalum Vitalis whenever Madison buried her, okay? But when the Seven Wonders came, she couldn't bring Zoe back."
   "So... what are you saying?"
   "That... maybe Misty wasn't supposed to come back."
   Her ocean blue eyes meet mine. I'm reminded of the swamps for a moment. Her eyes resemble the muddy waters now, grayish in some places, flecks of green here and there...
   "Cordelia?" She asks.
   "What?" I ask.
   "I asked if I could try."
   Shit. She probably thinks- "O-of course. You can try. It might not work, though. So don't be disappointed."
   "Okay." She drops my hand, rising to meet Misty's body, wrapped in a gown, lying still in the hospital bed.
   "And I-" I grab her wrist so she'll look at me. "I was... just... your eyes remind me of the swamps, so I-"
   "Hey, it's okay. You're pretty, but... I don't like you like that." She then smirks and raises an eyebrow. "Unless-"
   "No."
   "Okay." She shrugs and looks back at Misty, my hand falling to my side. She reaches out to touch Misty's face and cups it with both hands, leaning over her lifeless body.
   "Vitalum Vitalis." She whispers, blowing a hot breath against Misty's lips.
   To her (and my) surprise, Misty sits up immediately, her Cupid's-bowed lips crashing into Alex's.
   Misty shoves her and she stumbles back, tripping over her own chair in the process. She falls onto the hospital floor with a thud.
   "Ow." She mutters bitterly, peeling herself off the cold tile.
   Misty just stares at her in horror. "What tha hell did'ja think ya' were doin'?!"
   "Ugh." Alex groans. "I was..." She takes a gulp of air, seemingly lacking from the fall. "Doing Vitalum Vitalis. When you sat up-"
   "Wait," I say, touching Alex's arm. "You didn't pass out."
   "So..."
   "Even I passed out when I performed Vitalum Vitalis during the Seven Wonders."
    "Dammit, Delia, stop being so cryptic! What the hell are you talking about?!"
   "I'm pretty sure you're- no, I'm positive- that y-you're the next Supreme."