{Eleven}

I woke up to sunlight shining in my face through a window above Alex's hospital bed. I was in a rather uncomfortable position; I was sideways in a hard hospital chair. My back was gonna hurt for a bit.

I tried to shift back into a normal position quietly, as to not wake Alex, but I hit my knee on the armrest. I mumbled a string of curses and threats to the inanimate, innocent armrest, which made me look slightly mad. I looked over to Alex, who was still sleeping, and sighed.

  He loved me. And I loved him. I loved Alex.

  I found a magazine across the room, and went to grab it. I succeeded in not waking Al up. I flicked through the magazine, which turned out to be a generic health one, for around 30 minutes. It's fascinating how many medicines have so many health risks to go along with them, I thought while I thumbed through the pages.

  I heard Alex stir a bit, and looked up. He was rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, and, not gonna lie, he looked pretty cute with his hair all matted up and all over the place. When did I start sounding like a cliche romance novel character?

  "Mornin', Mi," Alex said, bringing me back to reality. "Morning, Al, how ya feelin'?" I asked. "Well, seeing as I'm in the hospital with a broken collarbone, pretty good," he answered with a smile.

  A nurse opened the door. "Excuse me, you'll have to leave for a few minutes while I do his checkup," she said politely to me. I nodded, patted Alex's hand, and left the room. I decided to go see what the café in the lobby had. While I was there, I grabbed a popsicle for Alex. He'd like that.

  I sat in the waiting room for about 30 minutes, absent-mindedly eating the crisps I got. I looked at the time. It was 11:47; I thought it was earlier. My eyes wandered over to the calendar hanging on the wall opposite me. Today was January 5th. Alex's birthday was the next day!

  I called Matt. "Hey, Matt. Ya busy?" I asked. "Nah, what's goin' on? Is Al okay?" He answered. "Yeah, he's gettin' a checkup now. Was wonderin' if you guys were comin' down? I think they're letting him have as many visitors as he wants," I explained. "Yeah, we'll come. See ya in 15, yeah?" Matt replied. I nodded, forgetting he couldn't see me through the phone. "Miles?" "Oh, yeah, see you then."

  I busied myself by trying to think of what we could do for Alex's birthday. Hopefully he was out of the hospital by tomorrow, I wanted to take him out somewhere. I'll see what he wants to do, I concluded. I saw Matt, Nick, and Jamie enter, and got up to greet them. We were talking about random things when Al's nurse came over to us.

  "You lads were here with Mr. Turner, correct?" She began. Nick nodded. "Well, he's doing pretty good in his state, and he'll probably be able to leave by tonight!" She said. I let out my breath, which I was subconsciously holding. "Great, we'll be able to do something for his birthday!" I said as the nurse was walking away. "Oh, right, his birthday's tomorrow. How old's he gonna be, 56?" Jamie joked.

  "Nah, I thought he was gonna be 7," Nick added. I laughed. Matt went to go ask the doctor if we could see Alex again. A moment later, he was beckoning us to go over to the elevator. I was starting to get over those.

  Alex seemed more lively when we went in. He was more cleaned up, back in his own clothes, so I guess they were letting him go soon. "Ey, I'm leavin' soon!" He confirmed. He was beaming like a little kid.

  "Hey, Al, whaddya wanna do for your birthday tomorrow?" I asked. "Is my birthday tomorrow? What day is it?" He asked eagerly. "It's the 5th of January," Nick told him. "Ooh! Surprise me, Kane," he said to me. "Gotcha, Turner."

  Matt had to fill out a bunch of paperwork, since he was the one who brought Alex in. An hour later, we were walking out the hospital with Alex. "How 'bout we just chill at Al and I's flat?" Matt suggested. Alex nodded, saying he just wanted to relax. We all agreed.

  At Matt's house, we all kinda just hung out on the couch and watched Real Housewives; my forté. Alex and I occasionally caught each other's eye and made faces. I think my heart may have stopped when he made a kissy face at me. I need to be stopped.

((This wasn't the most interesting chapter, I know, I just needed a chapter to get things going again 😁))